Basic Set Theory (Indexed Collection of Sets)

In summary, the author has found a solution to a homework equation problem, but does not understand why the intersection of any finite number of sets would be empty.
Swixi

Homework Statement

Give an example of an indexed collection of sets {[tex]A_{\alpha}[/tex] : [tex]\alpha\in\Delta[/tex]} such that each [tex]A_{\alpha}[/tex][tex]\subseteq[/tex](0,1) , and for all [tex]\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\beta\in\Delta, A_{\alpha}\cap A_{\beta}\neq \emptyset[/tex] but [tex]\bigcap_{\alpha\in\Delta}A_{\alpha} = \emptyset[/tex].

Homework Equations

None.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've found a solution that is:
Let [tex]A_{\alpha}=(0, \frac{1}{\alpha})[/tex], where [tex]\alpha\in\Delta=\mathbb{N}[/tex]

and my main problem is that I don't understand how this is possible.

I understand that [tex]A_{\alpha}\cap A_{\beta}\neq \emptyset[/tex] for any alpha/beta because the intersection will always be (0, 1/max(alpha,beta)).

But I don't understand how [tex]\bigcap_{\alpha\in\Delta}A_{\alpha} = \emptyset[/tex] is true. Wouldn't every set in the family have the smallest real in it, because every set would be (0, a)? I feel like I'm probably not thinking about this the right way.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, if x is in the intersection then x is in (0,1/n) for every n in N. Equivalently, 0<x<1/n. As n-> infty, 1/n -> 0. Using the N-epsilon definition of limits we know that if we let epsilon=x then there is a natural N such that 1/N<x. Therefore, x is not in A_N. Contradiction.

The intersection of any finite number of A_\alpha will be (0,min{1/n_1,1/n_2,...,1/n_k}) but if we want to to intersect all of the sets, {1,1/2,1/3,1/4,...} has no minimum.

Essentially we are probing at the properties of strictly decreasing chains of open sets.

Thanks for the help.

When I was working on this, I initially figured that the intersection over all of the sets is empty like you proved (because n-> infinity and 1/n -> 0).

But, if you were to choose that set "at infinity" (which makes [tex]\bigcap[/tex] empty) as your [tex]A_\alpha[/tex], then wouldn't its intersection with any [tex]A_\beta[/tex] be empty too?

Can you explain to me why this is wrong? I understand how this works for any finite amount of sets, but my intuitive understanding of infinite sets feels quite weak.

I don't understand your problem. Maybe you are thinking of this in terms of limits?

[tex]\mbox{lim}_{k\to\infty}\cap_{n=1}^k\left(0,\frac{1}{n}\right)=\mbox{lim}_{k\to\infty}\left(0,\frac{1}{k}\right)=(0,0)=\emptyset[/tex]

Severe abuse of notation.

I think it's just my grasp of infinite sets that is weak.

I suppose I need to do more work with families of sets.

Thanks again.

1. What is a set?

A set is a collection of distinct objects, called elements, that are grouped together based on a specific criterion. The elements can be anything, such as numbers, letters, or even other sets.

2. What is indexing in set theory?

Indexing in set theory refers to the process of assigning a unique label or number to each element in a set. This allows for the elements to be easily identified and manipulated within the set.

3. How are sets represented in mathematics?

Sets are typically represented using braces { } and listing the elements inside, separated by commas. For example, the set of even numbers can be written as {2, 4, 6, 8, ...}.

4. What is an indexed collection of sets?

An indexed collection of sets is a collection of sets that are indexed or labeled in some way, usually with numbers or letters. This allows for easy identification and manipulation of the sets within the collection.

5. What is the cardinality of a set?

The cardinality of a set refers to the number of elements in the set. It is represented by the symbol |A|, where A is the set. For example, if A = {1, 2, 3}, then |A| = 3.