Energy Required to Break Glass

In summary, the rocks KE before impact was 66.15 joules. After incorporating F=.65*A*v^2 (I guestimated A) as negative energy done, the rocks KE after glass breaks was 72.47 joules. If I can find the energy required to break through the 50 MPa single pane safety glass, I will have the KE just before impact.
dvsumosize

Homework Statement

This happened in real life, rock breaks through single pane safety glass and travels 9 meters, safety glass is 3 meters high. rock was 1 kg. I need to find the rough KE before the rock hit the glass. The MPa of the glass i am guessing is 50, google has yielded me little on the MPa of single pane safety glass.

So after calculations the rocks KE was 66.15 joules and after incorporating F=.65*A*v^2 (I guestimated A) as negative energy done, i got 72.47 J of KE right after glass broke. How do i find energy needed to break the 50 MPa singe pane mylar coated safety glass. I have no idea whatsoever on how to do this. I then can add this to the 72.47 J and get KE before impact. Answer is due in 12 hours, never have done anything like this. He wants us to learn from our community so we can become better at working with other people. He says our answers are going to vary greatly because its real world and too many variables we had to guestimate independently on. He just wants us to arrive at a logical answer.

Homework Equations

No clue, never attempted, learned, or saw anything like this.

The Attempt at a Solution

well i calculated time it took to fall, then velocity from that, then KE from frictionless environment which was about 66.15 J then i added the KE that the air friction which was 6.27J and i added them together so i have 72.47 J of energy right after glass breaks. If i can find the energy required to break the glass i can add that to my 72.47J and then i will have the KE just before impact, which is what i am looking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
i just found the tensile strength roughly of safety glass and it is 120 to 200 N/sq .mm. How do i find the energy required to break through that?

Last edited:
bah i figured it out i said the rock had a radius of 3 inches converted that into mm^2 and multiplied by 120 to get N then * that by 6 mm to get work done over that interval and then added my previous result.

1. What is the energy required to break glass?

The amount of energy required to break glass depends on various factors such as the type of glass, its thickness, and the force applied. However, on average, it takes about 10-25 MPa (megapascals) of energy to break a standard glass pane.

2. What factors affect the energy required to break glass?

As mentioned earlier, the type and thickness of the glass play a significant role in determining the energy required to break it. Other factors include the shape and size of the object exerting the force, the temperature of the glass, and any existing flaws or imperfections in the glass.

3. Can the energy required to break glass be calculated?

Yes, the energy required to break glass can be calculated using the formula E = F x d, where E is the energy in joules, F is the force in newtons, and d is the distance over which the force is applied. This calculation can provide an estimate of the minimum energy needed to break the glass.

4. What is the difference between the energy required to crack and shatter glass?

Cracking and shattering are two different forms of breaking glass. Cracking refers to the formation of small, linear cracks on the surface of the glass, while shattering is when the glass breaks into many small pieces. The energy required to crack glass is lower than that required to shatter it, as shattering involves breaking the bonds between molecules in the glass.

5. How can the energy required to break glass be reduced?

The energy required to break glass can be reduced by making the glass stronger through techniques such as tempering or laminating. Tempered glass is heated and then cooled quickly, making it stronger and more resistant to breaking. Laminated glass has layers of plastic or resin between the glass panes, providing extra strength and preventing shattering. Additionally, avoiding sharp edges and distributing the force evenly can also reduce the energy required to break glass.