Advice on how to Write A* final year degree Project

In summary, following the style of a reputable paper may be a good idea, keeping a list of references, starting to write stuff up at the beginning, and discussing style with your supervisor may help the writing process.
Millano
Hi. Is there any advice you can give as to how to go about this. Things I need to make sure I do, what not to do, writing style etc etc. Should I follow the exact outline of a reputable paper I have acess to ?

If your interested I have to make a phantom with simillar charcteristics to breast tissue, then test its mechanical properties and x ray attenuation.

Thanks to any contributions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have this issue at the minute, coupled with the fact that my writing style sucks. I have been writing a paper with my supervisor, and I found that after seeing how he approaches the problem of writing of a paper, I've started writing stuff I'm actually happy with.

I think following the style of a paper is quite a good idea, it may even be worth your while to look up previous project reports (if your university/supervisor keeps them) or if not then masters/PhD thesis and try to match the style in those.

Some thoughts:

(1) Try to have regular meetings with your supervisor - preferably once per week. This will force you to make progress on your project and establish a venue for regular feedback.

(2) Be sure you're clear on the purpose of your project. Why are you constructing this phantom? What similar phantoms already exist? Why can't something that already exists be used for the final purpose of this project?

(3) Establish a clear end-point. What questions do you aim to answer by the conclusion of your project? Does your supervisor agree that these are achievable in the time period you have?

(4) Keep an active list of references. As you progress through your project you will likely come across different references relevant to it. LaTeX allows you to cite references really easily, so learning that and establishing a reference list will help you tremendously. Otherwise, if you're Microsoft-based you might want to look into a program like EndNote (although those aren't free).

(5) Try to start writing stuff up at the beginning - at least your introduction and methods. Even if it all changes by the end, putting in a little thought in the beginning can save a lot of grief later on.

(6) As far as style goes - discuss this with your supervisor. Ideally, I would recommend that you try to write it up as if you plan to submit the work to a journal - so adpot the style that you would see in a journal you would be most likely to submit it too. If you don't know what that is, take a guess and follow that (you can always reformat later). Usually the best hint is to look to the journal that most of your references are coming from.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Choppy your input is very much appreciated!

Game over, that could be a good idea seeing what previous students have submitted as reports. I will speak to my supervisor to see what he says about that.

Hello there,

I understand the importance of a well-written final year degree project. Here are some tips and advice on how to approach writing your project:

1. Start with a clear and concise research question or objective: Before you begin writing, make sure you have a clear understanding of what you want to achieve with your project. This will help guide your research and keep you focused throughout the writing process.

2. Plan and organize your project: It is important to have a structured outline for your project. This will help you stay organized and ensure that all the necessary components are included. You can use the outline of a reputable paper as a guide, but make sure to tailor it to fit the specific requirements of your project.

3. Do thorough research: Your project should be based on solid research and evidence. Make sure to use reputable sources and cite them correctly. This will add credibility to your work and strengthen your arguments.

4. Write clearly and concisely: Avoid using overly complicated language and jargon. Your writing should be clear and easy to understand for your audience. Also, make sure to proofread and edit your work to eliminate any spelling or grammatical errors.

5. Use visual aids: If your project involves a phantom and testing its properties, consider including diagrams, charts, or images to help illustrate your findings. This can make your project more visually appealing and easier to understand.

6. Seek feedback: It is always helpful to have someone else read and provide feedback on your project before submission. This can help identify any areas that may need improvement and ensure that your project is well-written and coherent.

In regards to your specific project, it is important to follow the guidelines and requirements set by your institution. Make sure to include the necessary information and data to support your findings. Good luck with your project!

1. What is the importance of writing a high-quality final year degree project?

Writing a high-quality final year degree project is important because it is often the culmination of your academic journey and can significantly impact your overall grade and future career prospects. It demonstrates your ability to conduct independent research, think critically, and communicate effectively.

2. How do I choose a topic for my final year degree project?

Choosing a topic for your final year degree project can be intimidating, but it is important to select something that interests you and aligns with your academic and career goals. Consider your strengths and weaknesses, seek advice from your professors, and research current trends and gaps in your field.

3. What steps should I follow when writing my final year degree project?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the project guidelines and requirements. Then, conduct thorough research, organize your ideas and arguments, and write a clear and concise introduction, literature review, methodology, results, and conclusion. Be sure to also proofread and edit your work for grammar, spelling, and formatting errors.

4. How can I ensure that my final year degree project is original and plagiarism-free?

To ensure that your final year degree project is original and plagiarism-free, you should properly cite all sources used in your research and writing. Use a citation style recommended by your university and always give credit to the original authors. You can also use plagiarism detection software to check for any unintentional plagiarism.

5. What resources are available to help me write a successful final year degree project?

There are many resources available to help you write a successful final year degree project. Your university may have writing centers, workshops, and online guides specifically for final year projects. You can also seek advice from your professors and peers, and use academic databases and libraries to access relevant literature and data for your research.