Potential Energy Density of Hanging String (Lagrangian)

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the potential energy density of a hanging string that has been displaced from equilibrium at a point a distance d up from the bottom of the string. There is confusion about the shape of the string after displacement and the need for potential energy density. It is clarified that the string bends in a catenary shape and the ultimate goal is to construct a Lagrangian Density. The relationship between X and Y is needed to simplify the Lagrange Density. The kinetic energy density and potential energy density equations are also mentioned. There is a question about whether the string is moving, and a suggestion to use variational calculus to identify the shape of the top part of the string.
yngstr

Homework Statement

Find the potential energy density of a hanging string of mass density m/L that has been displaced from equilibrium at a point a distance d up from the bottom of the string. This point is displaced a distance X in the x direction, and a distance Y in the y direction. The string cannot be stretched.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit confused as to the actual shape the string makes after displacement. Is it a simple shape such that the top part of the string (L-d) forms an angle to equilibrium, and the bottom part (d) hangs vertically? If this is the case, what is the need for a potential density? This could just be solved discretely...

Physics news on Phys.org

This is how I would interpret what the question is asking. Consider a string hanging straight down in a vertical line. Put your origin at the free end of the string. Now grab the free end and move it horizontally and "up" to a new point (x,y) such that sqrt(x2+y2) = d. I would assume that the string bends in a catenary type curve. You can try this at home with a real string and see for yourself what shape you get.

kuruman said:
This is how I would interpret what the question is asking. Consider a string hanging straight down in a vertical line. Put your origin at the free end of the string. Now grab the free end and move it horizontally and "up" to a new point (x,y) such that sqrt(x2+y2) = d. I would assume that the string bends in a catenary type curve. You can try this at home with a real string and see for yourself what shape you get.

Hmm, I'm fairly certain this is not the case. My ultimate goal is to construct a Lagrangian Density, and the displacement from equilibrium occurs at a point on the rope that is not the at the end points.

X and Y are functions of time and displacement along the rope too, it's field theory...

yngstr said:
Hmm, I'm fairly certain this is not the case. My ultimate goal is to construct a Lagrangian Density, and the displacement from equilibrium occurs at a point on the rope that is not the at the end points.

X and Y are functions of time and displacement along the rope too, it's field theory...
Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted the question. Nevertheless, if it involves Lagrangian Density and field theory, do you really think this post belongs in "Introductory Physics"?

kuruman said:

kuruman said:
Sorry, I guess I misinterpreted the question. Nevertheless, if it involves Lagrangian Density and field theory, do you really think this post belongs in "Introductory Physics"?

I had posted this in Advanced, but it got moved. It seems that I have to find some sort of relationship between X and Y, but I'm not sure how to do this...it isn't a simple geometric relationship is it?

I will see if someone else can help you with this.

kuruman said:
I will see if someone else can help you with this.

Thanks. I've already written down my kinetic energy density and my potential energy density, but I need the relationships between X' and Y' to get the Lagrange Density down to one coordinate.

KE =Integral of : (1/2)*mu*(Xdot^2) dy + (1/2)*mu*(Ydot^2) dy

PE = Integral of: mu *g* Y' dy (tex messing up)

Last edited:
Is the string moving? It doesn't seem to say anything about that in the problem.

My interpretation of it when I read it was that you grab on to a point on the string a distance d above the free end, and move that point by (x, y). The portion of the string below that point (the length d at the bottom) will still hang straight down; the portion of the string above the point you grab will probably form some sort of catenary. You can use variational calculus to identify the shape of the top part of the string.

1. What is the definition of potential energy density?

Potential energy density is a measure of the amount of potential energy that is present per unit volume in a given system or material. In other words, it is the potential energy per unit volume that is associated with the configuration or position of objects within a system.

2. How is the potential energy density of a hanging string calculated?

The potential energy density of a hanging string can be calculated using the Lagrangian formalism, which takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the string. The lagrangian for a hanging string is given by L = T - V, where T is the kinetic energy and V is the potential energy. The potential energy density is then given by the derivative of the potential energy with respect to the length of the string.

3. What factors affect the potential energy density of a hanging string?

The potential energy density of a hanging string is affected by several factors, including the length, mass, and tension of the string, as well as the gravitational acceleration and any external forces acting on the string.

4. How is the potential energy density of a hanging string used in real-world applications?

The potential energy density of a hanging string has various real-world applications, such as in the design and construction of suspension bridges and cable-stayed bridges. It is also used in the study of elastic materials and the behavior of strings under tension.

5. Can the potential energy density of a hanging string be negative?

Yes, the potential energy density of a hanging string can be negative if the string is under tension and the potential energy decreases with increasing length. This can occur in certain configurations of the string, such as when it is stretched over a pulley or wrapped around a cylinder.