Reflection of light through a wine glass with water

In summary, the conversation discusses a unique optical effect where two different backgrounds are visible in a wine glass filled with water. The individual has a hypothesis that the shape of the glass and water acts as a concave mirror, causing the effect. However, it is clarified that it is simply due to refraction.
void_2
Hello, I came across something interesting on the internet. I saw an image in which a wine glass was half filled with water and put in the middle of the two different colored backgrounds. In the air portion within the glass, the two backgrounds were visible through the glass, however; in the water portion, the opposite backgrounds were horizontally visible, this resulted in a checkered pattern visible in the wine glass. If my description was puzzling then this image should help http://www.thinkstockphotos.com/image/100408932. I tried this myself and it worked, so my question is what causes this effect. My initial hypothesis was that the shape of the glass with the water resulted in some type of concave mirror that horizontaly inverted the light causing the effect. I am not entirely sure about this but I do know that the unique shape of the wine glass is a factor as this effect is not possible with a regular glass filled with water. Some assistance is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Nice optical effect. It's nothing more than refraction- the glass stem and water-filled bowl act like a lens- note how the 'air filled' part of the bowl does not reverse the colors.

What is the phenomenon of reflection of light through a wine glass with water?

The phenomenon of reflection of light through a wine glass with water is when light rays coming from a source are redirected or bounced off the surface of the water in the wine glass, resulting in a reflected image.

Why does light reflect off the surface of water in a wine glass?

Light reflects off the surface of water in a wine glass due to the difference in the refractive index between air and water. When light travels from a medium with a higher refractive index (air) to a medium with a lower refractive index (water), it bends or refracts. This change in direction causes the light to reflect off the surface of the water.

How does the shape of the wine glass affect the reflection of light?

The shape of the wine glass affects the reflection of light in two ways. Firstly, the curved surface of the glass causes the light rays to refract at different angles, resulting in a distorted reflected image. Secondly, the concave shape of the glass can act as a lens, focusing the reflected light and creating a magnified or inverted image.

Why does the reflection of light through a wine glass with water appear distorted?

The reflection of light through a wine glass with water appears distorted due to the curved surface of the glass. This causes the light rays to refract at different angles, resulting in a distorted image. Additionally, the movement of the water in the glass can also contribute to the distortion of the reflected image.

How does the addition of water to the wine glass affect the reflection of light?

The addition of water to the wine glass affects the reflection of light by changing the refractive index of the surface. This can alter the angle at which the light is reflected, resulting in a different image. Additionally, the movement of the water can also cause the reflected image to appear distorted or magnified.