Quantum mechanics modern textbook

In summary, Shankar's text is recommended as a comprehensive modern text on quantum mechanics, while Gasiorowicz's text is not considered to be of the same quality. Other options worth considering are Griffith's book and Ballentine's book, which is more suitable for advanced studies.
scottbekerham
What is the best and most comprehensive modern text on quantum mechanics in the same style as cohen text .

Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you it's not Gasiorowicz.

no this is the worst text i ever seen

I have always like Shankar's text although I don't know how this compares with Cohen's.

scottbekerham said:
no this is the worst text i ever seen

Which one is?

1. What is quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior and interactions of subatomic particles, such as electrons and photons. It provides a mathematical framework for understanding the fundamental principles and laws that govern the behavior of these particles.

2. How is quantum mechanics different from classical mechanics?

Quantum mechanics differs from classical mechanics in that it describes the behavior of particles on a very small scale, while classical mechanics deals with larger objects. In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states and can exhibit behaviors such as superposition and entanglement, which are not observed in classical mechanics.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has many practical applications, including in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also used in fields such as cryptography, chemistry, and materials science.

4. What is the role of mathematics in quantum mechanics?

Mathematics plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics, as it provides the language and tools for describing and predicting the behavior of subatomic particles. The equations and concepts of quantum mechanics are often complex and require advanced mathematical understanding to fully comprehend.

5. Is it possible to fully understand quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics is a highly complex and abstract theory, and there are still many unanswered questions and ongoing debates among scientists. While it is possible to gain a deep understanding of the mathematical principles and experimental evidence behind quantum mechanics, there may always be aspects of it that are beyond our complete understanding.