Proving Validity of Argument Form with Contrapositive and Modus Ponens

In summary, to prove s from the given premises p, ~q -> ~p, q -> r, and (r V t) -> s, we can use the following steps:1. Use contrapositive to show that p -> q (step 2).2. Use modus ponens to show that q (step 3).3. Use modus ponens again to show that r (step 4).4. Use the rule of addition (disjunctive introduction) to show that r V t (step 5).5. Use modus ponens to show that s (step 6).This demonstrates that the given argument form is valid.
illidari

Homework Statement

a) p
b) ~q -> ~p
c) q -> r
d) (r V t)-> s

proves e) s

Use a demonstration to show the following argument form is valid

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1) ~q-> ~p proves p -> q contrapositive

2) p-> q , p proves q modus ponens

3) q->r , q proves r modus ponens

This is where I get iffy and confused, I think this is allowed but want to verify

4) (r V t) -> s proves ~s -> ~(rVt) implication to disjuction

5) ~s -> ~(rVt) proves ~s->~r^~t DeMorgans

6) ~s -> ~r ^~t proves sV~r^~t by implication to disjunction

7) sV~r ^ ~t proves sV~r specialization

8) sV~r, r proves s

does this look legit if anyone has taken a discrete math course that has a sheet with this stuff :(?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks to me like all this is given (renumbered so as to lessen any possible confusion with too many letters):
1. p
2. ~q -> ~p
3. q -> r
4. r V t -> s

and you need to show that if the hypotheses (1 through 4) are true, then s is true.

As you noticed, 2 is equivalent to p -> q, so the four hypotheses are the same if we replace the second one with p -> q.

So, we have p being true.
p being true and p -> q being true imply that q is true.
q being true and q -> r being true imply that r is true.
r being true implies that r V t is true. (t is completely irrelevant.)
r V t being true and (r V t) -> s being true imply that s is true.

Mark44 said:
It looks to me like all this is given (renumbered so as to lessen any possible confusion with too many letters):
1. p
2. ~q -> ~p
3. q -> r
4. r V t -> s

and you need to show that if the hypotheses (1 through 4) are true, then s is true.

As you noticed, 2 is equivalent to p -> q, so the four hypotheses are the same if we replace the second one with p -> q.

So, we have p being true.
p being true and p -> q being true imply that q is true.
q being true and q -> r being true imply that r is true.
r being true implies that r V t is true. (t is completely irrelevant.)
r V t being true and (r V t) -> s being true imply that s is true.

That was the part that bothers me. I think i have to somehow get rVt separated before I can get that claim.

rVt -> s and something else would have to prove rVt somehow :/

Then I can use rVt to move on. I'm suppose to write the rule name followed by which step I pulled the p and q from.

illidari said:
That was the part that bothers me. I think i have to somehow get rVt separated before I can get that claim.

rVt -> s and something else would have to prove rVt somehow :/

Then I can use rVt to move on. I'm suppose to write the rule name followed by which step I pulled the p and q from.

As Mark44 said, r being true implies r V t is true. It doesn't matter at all what t is. It could even be ~r. The point is that because you already know r is true (it is given), r v anything is automatically true by virtue of the fact that r is true.

The name of this rule is simply "addition". See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Addition_(logic ) (or apparently disjunctive introduction if you want to be fancy).

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay figured out my confusion , it was labeled generalization on my paper :)

I didn't realize p proves pVq meant that I could pick any q regardless if I had it proven or not.

Made this way harder than I should of >.<

Thanks !

1. What is an argument form?

An argument form is a logical structure that represents the relationship between premises and conclusions in an argument. It is a way to abstractly represent an argument without including the specific content of the premises and conclusion.

2. How do you prove an argument form valid?

To prove an argument form valid, you must show that whenever the premises are true, the conclusion must also be true. This can be done through logical deductions and utilizing rules of inference.

3. What is the difference between a valid and invalid argument form?

A valid argument form is one where the conclusion necessarily follows from the premises, meaning that if the premises are true, the conclusion must also be true. An invalid argument form is one where the conclusion does not necessarily follow from the premises, meaning there is at least one instance where the premises are true but the conclusion is false.

4. Why is it important to prove the argument form valid?

Proving the argument form valid is important because it allows us to determine if an argument is logically sound. If the argument form is valid, we can be confident that the conclusion follows logically from the premises. This is essential in making informed and sound decisions.

5. What are some common methods for proving the argument form valid?

There are several methods for proving the argument form valid, including truth tables, formal proofs, and Venn diagrams. These methods utilize logical rules and principles to demonstrate the validity of an argument form.