Accelerometer - Movement pattern recognition (iphone)

In summary, the conversation focused on finding the best approach for recognizing physical movements using an iPhone in a pocket, with the ultimate goal of recognizing urban street behavior related to traffic lights. The suggested approach was to heuristically find data corresponding to each action and check incoming values against this data with a threshold. For walking, an FFT on the gravity direction signal was suggested, while for stopping, the average power drop below a certain threshold was proposed. Turning left/right was deemed not possible without a gyroscope. The participants also discussed the challenges of recognizing sitting and stair climbing movements. Specific questions were raised about the gravity direction signal and the possibility of differentiating between walking and stair climbing.
reesefrancis
Hi, I have to find the best approach for tackling a problem for trying to recognize physical movements - with an iPhone in a pocket - like walking, stopping, turning left/right, sitting.

The ultimate goal is to recognize urban street behaviour, mostly regarding traffic lights: is it possible to tell when a pedestrian stops at a red light and then goes across the road on a green light? Or the data from an accelerometer won't be different when walking in a park etc.

I was thinking on just heuristically find the data corresponding to each action, then to check the incoming values against this data (with a threshold) and see what's happening. That's a very rough approach, of course, but unfortunately I don't have time to set up Support Vector Machine method for recognizing my patterns.

Here's what I got:
Walking: Do an fft on the gravity direction signal. Measure its frequency response for walking at different speeds and then set a simple threshold.

Stopping: if the average power i.e. total energy in the signal over the last few seconds drops below a certain threshold then you can say the user has stopped.

Turning left/right: not possible without a gyroscope.

Sitting: with no idea here - except for collecting data when sitting up from standing up and viceversa.

Stair climbing: basically the data I get when I climb stairs isn't different from the one I get when walking. Or is it there some way to tell the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the wrong section? hope not

I'll try with more specific questions:

which is the gravity direction signal of 3-axis accelerometer? I need to do an fft on it

1. What is an accelerometer and how does it work?

An accelerometer is a device that measures acceleration, which is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It works by using a small mass suspended by springs inside a casing. When the accelerometer moves, the mass also moves, causing a change in the electrical current that can be measured and translated into acceleration values.

2. How is an accelerometer used in movement pattern recognition on an iPhone?

An accelerometer on an iPhone is used to measure the acceleration of the device in three dimensions (x, y, and z axes). By analyzing the changes in acceleration over time, it can recognize specific movement patterns, such as walking, running, or shaking the phone. This information can be used in various applications, such as fitness tracking or game control.

3. Can an accelerometer accurately detect all types of movement patterns?

While accelerometers are highly sensitive and can detect a wide range of movements, they may not be able to accurately recognize every single movement pattern. Factors such as the placement of the accelerometer, external forces, and the complexity of the movement can affect its accuracy. However, with advanced algorithms and machine learning, accelerometers can be trained to recognize a variety of movement patterns with high accuracy.

4. Are there any limitations to using an accelerometer for movement pattern recognition?

One limitation of using an accelerometer for movement pattern recognition is that it can only measure acceleration, not other types of motion like rotation or tilt. This means that it may not be able to accurately detect certain movements, such as biking or swimming, which involve more complex motions. Additionally, accelerometers can be affected by external forces, such as vibrations or sudden movements, which can interfere with the accuracy of the data.

5. How can the data collected from an accelerometer be used in scientific research?

The data collected from an accelerometer can be used in various scientific research studies, particularly in fields such as sports science, biomechanics, and human movement analysis. It can provide valuable information about an individual's movement patterns, gait analysis, and physical activity levels. This data can be used to improve training methods, prevent injuries, and monitor the progress of individuals undergoing rehabilitation.