What is the difference between bearing and heading?

In summary, the conversation is about the difference between m/s^2 and bearing and heading. The first question is asking for clarification on the meaning of m/s^2, which is a unit of acceleration, and the second question is asking for the difference between bearing (a reference to a fixed object) and heading (the direction the object is pointing). The conversation also includes an example of how these terms can be used in an aircraft compensating for crosswinds.
TaurenOfBlight
Alright, my teacher has the classic case of here are the sheets go do them, don't ask me questions. I've been good about picking up so far but i have 2 questions right now.

1) m/s^2 does this mean for every 2 seconds it does 1 meter value? I.E. 1/s^2 so does that mean every 2 seconds it goes 1 meter?

2) What is the difference between bearing and heading?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) m/s^2 means m/s/s or (meters per second) per second as in change in speed per second (acceleration)

2). bearing = heading

Tide said:
2). bearing = heading
I don't think this entirely true.
For example in an aircraft compensating for crosswinds
You might be bearing south (reference to fixed object)
But your heading might be sw if the wind is from the west. (direction craft is pointing)

that mean it goes 1m/s more in each second, incresing speed w.r.t time.

aekanshchumber said:
that mean it goes 1m/s more in each second, incresing speed w.r.t time.
That is Correct.

1. What is the definition of bearing and heading?

Bearing refers to the angle between the north-south line and the direction of an object or point. Heading, on the other hand, is the direction in which an object or person is moving.

2. Are bearing and heading interchangeable terms?

No, bearing and heading are not interchangeable terms. While they both involve direction, bearing refers to a fixed point or object while heading refers to the direction of movement.

3. How are bearing and heading used in navigation?

In navigation, bearing is used to determine the direction of a fixed point or object in relation to the direction of the north-south line. Heading is used to determine the direction in which a person or object is moving and is often used in conjunction with a compass or other navigational tools.

4. Can bearing and heading be measured using the same units?

Yes, both bearing and heading can be measured using the same units, such as degrees or mils.

5. What is the key difference between bearing and heading in terms of their use?

The key difference between bearing and heading is that bearing refers to a fixed point or object, while heading refers to the direction of movement. This difference is important in navigation and other fields where precise direction is necessary.