What creative policies can be implemented to promote happiness in society?

• Thread starter Czcibor
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various debates about equality and happiness, particularly in regards to the role of government and policies that could potentially increase general population's happiness. Some suggestions include banning attractive people from media, adjusting healthcare priorities, promoting more optimistic news, and limiting extravagant possessions. However, there is also a debate about the role of government and individual rights in promoting happiness.
Czcibor
On the physorg.com page I saw a few debates that started about this subject. Generally they started with showing correlation between equality and happiness and finished with quarrels whether to achieving that by invasive tax system would make people happy with small amount of arguments and huge amount of ideology on both sides.

The point of this topic is NOT debate whether to have small or big gov. I've seen quite a few such and after a few dozens they started being a bit to repetitive.

The point of this topic is to make a brain storming of more creative (not necessary perfect or fully workable ideas) to make general population happy

Let's assume that there was reached some kind of equilibrium between getting money for social programs and leaving enough money for entrepreneurs to keep incentive to invest in risky but profitable programs. So... what other policies should be done to keep people happy?

1) Ban showing too attractive people on media. That decreases both self image and grade for sexual partner(s). Only people with on top average looks might be shown on media as reporters or actors.

2) Adjust aims in healthcare - less saving life on every price, more care about quality of life. More for palliative care and treatment of depression, after all person suffering from depression is hard to be graded as happy.

3) Forcing media to show more optimistic news. There is some tendency to show so much suffering because it increase audience and revenues from adds. Let's say at least 50% of information have to be optimistic ones. Still plenty of choice what counts as good news - new bridge, new scientific discovery, new medical treatment, another dangerous criminal caught and cops responsible for that awarded with handshake. Whatever, just optimistic, showing that's not so bad.

4) In inequalities the main problem with happens is all matter of perception. So maybe limit (or tax heavily) the most flashy toys (sport cars, jets) that they buy. The whole point is to that in a way that the difference in amount of cash would be less visible, so less annoying.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have applied solutions (aka policies) be both equitable and increase order/efficiency.

Most commonly, many moves made for increased efficiency do not demand equity.

I am making a generalization here.

1) This dynamic is embedded in many many other places than the media.

2) sounds good that money must be allocated from other areas--not to mention those in power of those resources need to spend the energy to make the difference.

3) I would prefer news to be less biased and more transparent about it's agenda or what power it's affiliated with. This information is easily accessible yet most/majority of people are still unaware.

4) People have rights to use there resources as they like. Controlling that would create inefficiency in the system. I personally think a better proposition would be creating policy/tax that would give agents incentives to allocate money towards socially progressive mechanisms.

I'll thank you all to stay the f*** out of my happiness. It's none of your business.

Try worrying about increasing prosperity instead of equality and maybe I'll stop wanting to kill all those who think like you.

1. What are some policies that can make people happy?

Some policies that can make people happy include ensuring equal access to education and healthcare, promoting a fair and just society, addressing income inequality, providing opportunities for personal and professional growth, and investing in public infrastructure and services.

2. How do policies impact people's happiness?

Policies can have a significant impact on people's happiness by addressing their basic needs and providing opportunities for a better quality of life. When policies promote fairness, equality, and social stability, it can contribute to a sense of well-being and satisfaction among individuals.

3. Are there any policies that can have a negative impact on people's happiness?

Yes, there are policies that can have a negative impact on people's happiness. Examples include policies that promote discrimination, inequality, or limit personal freedoms. Policies that do not address the needs and concerns of the people can also lead to dissatisfaction and unhappiness.

4. How can policymakers ensure that their policies promote happiness?

Policymakers can ensure that their policies promote happiness by conducting thorough research and understanding the needs and concerns of the people they are serving. They should also seek input and feedback from the community and consider the potential impacts of their policies on different groups. Regular evaluation and adjustments to policies can also help promote happiness.

5. Can policies alone make people happy?

No, policies alone cannot make people happy. While policies can create an environment that promotes happiness, individual factors such as personal relationships, mindset, and life circumstances also play a significant role in determining one's happiness. However, effective policies can contribute to creating a society where people have the potential to be happier.