Testing a sequence for converge or divergence

In summary: I'll just say it's tricky. Can you see why?In summary, the conversation involved discussing four problems that needed to be tested for convergence or divergence. The first and second problems involved taking the limit as n goes to infinity and using the graph of the function to determine the answer. The third problem was unknown and the fourth problem involved using logarithms to simplify the expression and then using a comparison test to solve the problem.
shemer77
I have 4 problems left and the questions says I have to test them for converge or divergence.
Here are the problems
http://gyazo.com/f0fa5a38c5968ecb7e74103486a181bd.png
http://gyazo.com/4689f9d02d0b264c2c2b64ff4907ba77.png
for 25, I want to take the limit as n goes to infinity however I get (-1)^[itex]\infty[/itex] and stuck there

for 27, similar problem how do i take the limit of cos([itex]\infty[/itex])

for 43 i have no idea

for 45, I feel like i should use lhr, but i can't take the derivative of n!

Please try and explain it to me, as I already have the answers I just want to learn

Physics news on Phys.org
25 - Have you done absolute convergence?
26 - Do you see what the graph of this function looks like?
45- Maybe you could try expanding out and then comparing it with some other sequence?

Oster said:
45- Maybe you could try expanding out and then comparing it with some other sequence?

For 25, I think the question is about convergence of the sequence, not convergence of the series. Ignore the (-1)^n for the moment and tell us whether the n/(n^2+1) part converges and to what.

shemer77 said:
I have 4 problems left and the questions says I have to test them for converge or divergence.
Here are the problems
f0fa5a38c5968ecb7e74103486a181bd.png

http://gyazo.com/f0fa5a38c5968ecb7e74103486a181bd.png
4689f9d02d0b264c2c2b64ff4907ba77.png

for 25, I want to take the limit as n goes to infinity however I get (-1)^[itex]\infty[/itex] and stuck there

for 27, similar problem how do i take the limit of cos([itex]\infty[/itex])

for 43 i have no idea

for 45, I feel like i should use lhr, but i can't take the derivative of n!

Please try and explain it to me, as I already have the answers I just want to learn
What methods do you know? What does it mean for a sequence to converge? ... diverge?

How did you get (-1) for 25 ? Show us your work, so we can help you.

Write out the first several terms for 27.

For 45, use logarithms.

Oops my bad. Will think before I post next time hahah. =D

Oster said:

yes, but this is a sequence I thought you can't use tests on it...?
27- i looked at the graph and it seems its going to 0 but is a graph an accurate way of knowing
45- i feel like there's a better way

For 25, I think the question is about convergence of the sequence, not convergence of the series. Ignore the (-1)^n for the moment and tell us whether the n/(n^2+1) part converges and to what.

thats going to 0

SammyS said:
What methods do you know? What does it mean for a sequence to converge? ... diverge?

How did you get (-1) for 25 ? Show us your work, so we can help you.

Write out the first several terms for 27.

For 45, use logarithms.
I think i know almost all the methods, but these are sequences so i thought you really can't use them..
A sequence to converge means as it expands it eventually reaches a limit of a rational number, for it diverges means it goes to infinity or negative infinty

for 25 well i got the limit as n goes to infinity of that function, but if i try to take the limit it becomes
(-1)^[itex]\infty[/itex] *[itex]\infty[/itex]/[itex]\infty[/itex]

27 - seems like its going to 0

45- I would have the ln(n!) - ln(2^n) that's infinity - infinity, how can I rewrite that?

shemer77 said:
yes, but this is a sequence I thought you can't use tests on it...?
27- i looked at the graph and it seems its going to 0 but is a graph an accurate way of knowing
45- i feel like there's a better way

thats going to 0I think i know almost all the methods, but these are sequences so i thought you really can't use them..
A sequence to converge means as it expands it eventually reaches a limit of a rational number, for it diverges means it goes to infinity or negative infinty

for 25 well i got the limit as n goes to infinity of that function, but if i try to take the limit it becomes
(-1)^[itex]\infty[/itex] *[itex]\infty[/itex]/[itex]\infty[/itex]

27 - seems like its going to 0

45- I would have the ln(n!) - ln(2^n) that's infinity - infinity, how can I rewrite that?

This would be a lot less confusing if you work on the problems one at a time. I'd suggest you finish 25 first. -1<=(-1)^n<=1. Try using a squeeze argument. And I don't think the best answer for limit n/(n^2+1) is infinity/infinity. In fact, that's no answer at all. Didn't you also say it was 0? Why?

Last edited:
shemer77 said:
... for it diverges means it goes to infinity or negative infinty

No, diverges simply means that it doesn't converge.

shemer77 said:

Use the properties of logarithms to simplify ln(n!) - ln(2n) .

Last edited:
SammyS said:
Use the properties of logarithms to simplify ln(n!) - ln(2n) .

I don't see how that would help? can you show me the steps? wouldn't it just be ln(n!) - n*ln(2), which would still be infinity - infinity?

shemer77 said:
I don't see how that would help? can you show me the steps? wouldn't it just be ln(n!) - n*ln(2), which would still be infinity - infinity?

It's probably easier and more direct to write n!/2^n as (1/2)*(2/2)*(3/2)*(4/2)*...*(n/2). Now notice, say, that there are lots of factors that are greater than 2 if n is large. Think about a comparison test.

Dick's idea is probably better, but here's what I had in mind.

n! = n(n-1)(n-2)...(4)(3)(2)(1).

Therefore, ln(n!) = ln(n)+ln(n-1)+ln(n-2)+...+ln(4)+ln(3)+ln(2) .

But then comparing this to (n)ln(2) can be a bit messy.

Dick said:
It's probably easier and more direct to write n!/2^n as (1/2)*(2/2)*(3/2)*(4/2)*...*(n/2). Now notice, say, that there are lots of factors that are greater than 2 if n is large. Think about a comparison test.

Wouldn't that be enough to show that the terms clearly diverge, or at least do not converge to 0?

I myself would probably go with using the ratio test.

Bohrok said:
Wouldn't that be enough to show that the terms clearly diverge, or at least do not converge to 0?

I myself would probably go with using the ratio test.

I believe these are sequences, not series, although the only place it says that is in the title.

However, doing #45 via the logarithm does change it to being equivalent evaluating the convergence of an infinite sequence.
... which gives me an idea

Group a -ln(2) with each ln(i) to give: ln(an) = (ln(n)-ln(2)) + (ln(n-1)-ln(2)) + (ln(n-2)-ln(2)) +...+ ln(4)-ln(2)) + (ln(3)-ln(2)) + (ln(2)-ln(2)) + (ln(1)-ln(2)) .

1. What is the difference between convergent and divergent sequences?

A convergent sequence is one in which the terms get closer and closer to a single finite limit as the sequence progresses. A divergent sequence is one in which the terms do not approach a single finite limit, but instead either get infinitely large or oscillate between different values.

2. How do you test if a sequence is convergent or divergent?

There are several methods for testing the convergence or divergence of a sequence. These include the limit comparison test, the ratio test, the root test, and the integral test. Additionally, if a sequence follows a known pattern, such as a geometric or arithmetic sequence, its convergence or divergence can be determined using formulas specific to those patterns.

3. What is the significance of a convergent or divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is important because it represents a sequence of values that approach a single, meaningful limit. This can be useful in applications such as calculating the speed of an object or the growth rate of a population. Divergent sequences, while not as useful in practical applications, can still provide valuable insights into the behavior of mathematical functions and the properties of numbers.

4. Can a sequence be both convergent and divergent?

No, a sequence cannot be both convergent and divergent. By definition, a convergent sequence approaches a single limit, while a divergent sequence does not. A sequence can, however, have sub-sequences that are convergent and divergent.

5. How do you determine the convergence or divergence of an alternating sequence?

An alternating sequence is one in which the terms alternate between positive and negative values. To determine the convergence or divergence of such a sequence, you can use the alternating series test, which states that if the terms of an alternating series decrease in magnitude and approach 0, the series is convergent. If the terms do not approach 0, the series is divergent. Additionally, if the terms alternate in a predictable pattern, such as with an alternating geometric series, you can use specific formulas to determine the convergence or divergence.