Employability of nuclear engineering PhD

In summary: There is a glut of PhDs in engineering and related fields, and there is always a need for talented engineers, but salaries and job security may not be as great as one might expect. It looks like fission power may be on the comeback trail. New licensing applications are being submitted to the NRC. If the trend holds, it could be a great field by the end of the decade. However, it's important to have a well-rounded education, as there are many areas in nuclear energy/engineering that need to be addressed.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
What is everyones opinion on the future employability of a PhD in nuclear engineering? I am planning on going to Georgia Tech's nuclear engineering department and I'm curious as to the employability in industry of such a field. I am hoping to work on fusion/plasma physics and I assume industry jobs are few and far between in terms of directly working with fusion. However, I may move into fission if the idea of fusion looks too bleak. So assuming one develops the typical skills needed in industry, what kind of employability would a PhD in such a field (fusion or fission) have in the somewhat near future?

I would love a research position at a national lab, but I suspect those types of positions are like string theorists trying to find tenure positions in academia - not too likely :)

Physics news on Phys.org
A PhD in engineering or physics, particularly one with a well-rounded education, should be very employable. Energy production and energy conversion are critical areas for any society, particularly modern industrial societies.

There are numerous areas in nuclear energy/engineering that need to be addressed. But more importantly is to have a diversified set of skills in thermodynamics, computational fluid dynamics, mechanics of materials, and radiation physics.

It's a matter of solving various partial differential equations, often nonlinear, and often coupled, particularly if one is doing multiphysics.

I would strongly suggest taking a few industry internships aimed at graduate students. This will get your foot in the door, but you won't be employed for Fusion any time soon.

Hey when did these replies come up!

Anyhow, I'm starting to get the feeling that even PhDs aren't so much about what the topic you do as they are about all the skills you learn along the way.

Pengwuino said:

Anyhow, I'm starting to get the feeling that even PhDs aren't so much about what the topic you do as they are about all the skills you learn along the way.

Especially in Nuclear Engineering.

Pengwuino said:

Actually, it's a bit of both. The skills are important/critical and generic. Bascially if you can solve problems and generate IP, one has job security. Or one can start one's own company.

It does help to do one's research in a hot topic (a specific piece of technology), but technologies come and go, and it's best to have a skill set that lasts, and which can be further develop to keep apace with changes in science and technology.

Also, what one does in terms of a revenue stream doesn't preclude doing research for fun and amusement on the side.

So it's best to be diversified/well-rounded, and good at problem solving.

Know thy mathematics and physics!

Pengwuino said:
I would love a research position at a national lab, . . .
That could be arranged if one does well.

What is the job market like for nuclear engineering PhDs?

The job market for nuclear engineering PhDs is currently stable, with opportunities available in both industry and academia. However, competition for these positions can be fierce, as there are typically fewer job openings compared to other engineering fields.

What type of industries hire nuclear engineering PhDs?

Nuclear engineering PhDs can find employment in a variety of industries, including nuclear power plants, government agencies, research laboratories, and consulting firms. They may also work in related fields such as energy, environmental engineering, and defense.

What skills do nuclear engineering PhDs need to be employable?

Nuclear engineering PhDs should have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. They should also have a solid understanding of nuclear science and technology, as well as strong research, analytical, and problem-solving skills.

What are the potential career paths for a nuclear engineering PhD?

With a nuclear engineering PhD, individuals can pursue a variety of career paths, including research and development, design and analysis, operations and maintenance, environmental assessment, and regulatory compliance. They may also choose to pursue academic positions as professors or researchers.

What can I do to increase my employability as a nuclear engineering PhD?

To increase employability, nuclear engineering PhDs can gain practical experience through internships or co-op programs, participate in research projects and publish papers, and stay updated on industry developments and advancements. Networking and developing strong communication skills can also help in securing employment opportunities.