Symmetry and Causality: are the two connected?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of symmetry in modern physics and its relation to causality. The participants wonder if symmetry is simply an absence of causality and if a universe symmetric in all ways would lack causality. One participant suggests that a 'creator' causing the universe does not necessarily contradict the idea of symmetry. The conversation also touches on the possibility of theological implications and the difficulty of defining causality.
Paulibus
I've been reading an <URL=http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/oct/27/symmetry-key-natures-secrets/> article </URL> by Steven Weinberg on symmetry, written for laymen, in the New York Review of Books. Weinberg describes as simply as he can how symmetry lies at the heart of the Standard Model and of physics beyond this model. I know also that there are folk, like Renate Loll, who use causality as a criterium in their attempts to clarify the structure (if any) of the spacetime arena against which physics is set. Both symmetry and causality are central topics in modern physics.

In attempting to clarify my understanding of symmetry I have come to wonder if 'Symmetry' is not just a synonym for 'absence of causality'. Is this just an obvious piece of trivia? Perhaps there are contributers to this forum who can enlighten me.

My take on symmetry is this:

Symmetry is a property that physical objects, paintings, images as well as more abstract constructs like mathematical expressions and the laws of physics, may all possess. For familiar objects like vases or geometrical circles only a glance is needed to ‘spot’ symmetry. In more abstract situations establishing symmetry may need more than just a glance. Much more. It is a devised process of real or imagined action that could change one’s perception of something. Or, as Weinberg puts it, change one's point of view.

To establish a symmetry for something (say a circle) it has:

(a) to be observed (quantitatively described and remembered).

(b) a specific real or imagined action has to happen (for example the observer and item could move relative to one another and/or the item may be transformed in some stipulated way).

(c) the item has to be observed again.

(d) observations (a) and (c) must be compared (perhaps by some specified mutual mapping process).

If (d) shows no change, the item is said to be symmetric under the specified action.

I conclude that symmetry tells one which specific actions are inconsequential for a given situation. More simply, it reveals restrictions on or an absence of causality.

Would a universe symmetric in all imaginable ways not be causal?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what you've said

symmetry means an absence of causality

and therefore, a universe symmetric in all known ways, lacks causality.

fair enough, but that really only suggests that anything 'we' have done thus far, has not affected it.
That does not really suggest that a 'creator' did not cause - and create the universe. By definition, a 'creator' has done something we cannot, which has affected the universe, and therefore is not symmetric, having causality.When I picture symmetry, one of those infinitely zooming out videos of fractals pop into my head - picture an atom, the proton and electron are symmetric, then we zoom out to see how a system of atoms is symmetric, and then molecules, and so forth... until we get to the entire universe - and to zoom out again and compare it would require another universe - incomprehensible... unless our universe is the electron of another universe! lol and then we have the infinite zooming seen with fractals. But that's all just nonsense really.

Thanks for your reply, elegysix --- I'd begun to wonder if anybody was going to comment on what may well be a trivial conclusion for physicists.

Yes, I agree that such possible nonsense could also have theological implications, but by posting in this Forum (rather than say in the Philosophy Forum) I was seeking technical comments, perhaps an operational evidence-based definition of causality (if such a definition is possible), which could have similarities with my take on symmetry in post #1. My dictionary defines causality as universal operation of cause and effect as a belief, which does support your take on my (here slightly edited) final question:

Would a universe symmetric in all imaginable ways be not causal?

Could be a question better not answered, for fear it makes Somebody cross.

1. What is symmetry and causality?

Symmetry refers to the concept of having balance or similarity on both sides of a central point or line. Causality, on the other hand, is the idea that events or actions have a specific cause and effect relationship.

2. How are symmetry and causality connected?

Symmetry and causality are connected in that both concepts involve a sense of balance and predictability. In symmetry, there is a balance between two sides or aspects, while in causality, there is a predictable cause and effect relationship between events or actions.

3. Can symmetry exist without causality?

Yes, symmetry can exist without causality. In symmetry, there is a balance or similarity between two sides or aspects, regardless of whether there is a specific cause and effect relationship between them.

4. How does causality relate to scientific research?

Causality is a crucial concept in scientific research as it allows scientists to understand and explain phenomena by identifying the cause and effect relationship between different variables. This helps to establish a logical and evidence-based explanation for observed results.

5. Is there a difference between symmetry and causality in different scientific fields?

While the concepts of symmetry and causality remain consistent across scientific fields, their definitions and applications may vary depending on the specific field. For example, in physics, symmetry may refer to laws and principles that govern the behavior of particles, while in biology, symmetry may refer to the appearance of an organism. However, the fundamental connection between symmetry and causality remains the same.