Question on higher spatial dimensions

In summary, the third dimension can be thought of as an infinite stack of planes, which gives it width. There is an uncountable number of planes needed to create this dimension, and it is harder to answer this question than just thinking of the maths.
CylonHybrid
I have just a quick question I was wondering about and I was wondering could someone answer it here.
Is it true that for example the third dimension is composed of an infinite number of 2 dimensional planes on top of each other which give rise to width, the third dimension? If this is true then how can a dimension with 0 width give rise to width even if there are an infinite number of planes since 0 times infinity is still 0?
Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
0 times infinity isn't 0 exactly.
Mathematically, you might say that a countable infinity of planes of 0 width still has a dimension 0 in width. You need an uncountably large number of planes, one plane for each real number, to give the third dimension.

If you're asking about the real third dimension of our actual universe, then that is probably harder to answer than just thinking of the maths... there are concepts like the plank length, the holographic principle, and bundled up dimensions of string theory etc which complicate questions about the dimensions of actual space.

TGlad said:
0 times infinity isn't 0 exactly.
Mathematically, you might say that a countable infinity of planes of 0 width still has a dimension 0 in width. You need an uncountably large number of planes, one plane for each real number, to give the third dimension.

If you're asking about the real third dimension of our actual universe, then that is probably harder to answer than just thinking of the maths... there are concepts like the plank length, the holographic principle, and bundled up dimensions of string theory etc which complicate questions about the dimensions of actual space.

Define uncountable number of planes? Isn't that infinity? I still don't get it.

CylonHybrid said:
Define uncountable number of planes? Isn't that infinity? I still don't get it.

I don't think you can stack 2d planes on top of one another and get anywhere, as they are not 3d. I'm not highly educated in math, so I can't be sure about that though.

Oh ok, well it is weird, but there are more real numbers than there are natural numbers. i.e. 1,2,3,4,5 is countably infinite, but the real numbers are uncountable, and so a bigger form of infinity! You can read up on Cantor's work.

If you describes 3d space as the repeating stack of planes that you get as the distance between the planes tends to 0, then that is probably accurate as it doesn't refer to an infinite number so isn't ambiguous to the actual type of infinity.

There are actually lots of different infinities, it is really quite bizarre and beyond my expertise to inform you about them :)

The limit of 0 * infinity is not always zero. I cannot think of any functions off the top of my head, however.

Kinda like how 0^0=1, though in a quick google search that looks to be more of a definition...

An infinite stack of zero thickness plates is 0 units high.

Imagine a 4 dimensional dark matter particle. To it, a 3 dimensional particle has absolutely no volume, so it doesn't interact through forces (other than gravity) with the 3 dimensional particle, although gravitational interaction is still felt (as mass simply effects spacetime, and is not an interaction between particles).

What are higher spatial dimensions?

Higher spatial dimensions refer to theoretical dimensions beyond the three that we experience in our everyday lives (length, width, and height). These dimensions are used in various scientific theories to explain the behavior of particles and the structure of the universe.

How many higher spatial dimensions are there?

The number of higher spatial dimensions proposed by different theories varies. Some theories suggest there are as many as 11 dimensions, while others propose up to 26 dimensions. However, the most widely accepted theory, string theory, suggests there are 10 dimensions in total.

How can we visualize higher spatial dimensions?

Visualizing higher spatial dimensions can be difficult, as our brains are only used to processing information in three dimensions. However, some scientists use mathematical models and analogies, such as imagining a 2D being trying to understand a 3D world, to help conceptualize higher dimensions.

What is the significance of higher spatial dimensions?

Higher spatial dimensions play a crucial role in many scientific theories, such as string theory and supergravity, which aim to unify the forces of nature. They also help explain phenomena that cannot be explained by the three dimensions we experience, such as gravity and the behavior of subatomic particles.

Is there any evidence for higher spatial dimensions?

Currently, there is no direct experimental evidence for the existence of higher spatial dimensions. However, some indirect evidence, such as the unification of fundamental forces and the behavior of particles at high energies, supports the possibility of their existence.