Reference for the Temperature Dependent Speed of Sound in Common Solids

In summary, the conversation discussed the average speed of sound in common solids such as Si, Cu, and Al over a temperature range of 100K to 500K. After 5 hours of searching, no clear tables or references were found. Suggestions were made to use the equation V=\sqrt{\frac{B}{\rho}} where B is the bulk modulus and \rho is the density, or to search for temperature-dependent values of Young's modulus. The effect of temperature on densities of solids was also mentioned, with a reference to a wiki page stating that a one percent expansion of volume typically requires a temperature increase of thousands of degrees Celsius. It was also noted that the change in density from thermal expansion would be negligible compared to the
nahira
Hi friends,

I need the average speed of sound in some common solids, such as Si, Cu and Al, over temperature ranges from 100K to 500K.

After 5 hours of surveying acoustic and physical properties handbooks and googling the web, what I find is almost nothing.

Does anybody know a reference which has clear tables of the average speed of sound (longitudinal or transverse) in common solids in the mentioned temperature range?

Thank you in advance

Science news on Phys.org
The effect on densities of solids between those temperatures is small.

From wiki:

"A one percent expansion of volume typically requires a temperature increase on the order of thousands of degrees Celsius."

That is why you only find temp based charts for gasses. Just use a standard chart.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/sound-speed-solids-d_713.html

I don't know a reference, but you might use V=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{B}{\rho}}[/itex] where B is the bulk modulus, and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density. You might be able to find an equation for the bulk modulus as a function of temperature somewhere online, and the coefficients of expansion are certainly related to density as a function of temperature.

I googled for a few minutes and couldn't find anything better than that. Hope it helps.

elegysix said:
I don't know a reference, but you might use V=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{B}{\rho}}[/itex] where B is the bulk modulus, and [itex]\rho[/itex] is the density. You might be able to find an equation for the bulk modulus as a function of temperature somewhere online, and the coefficients of expansion are certainly related to density as a function of temperature.

I googled for a few minutes and couldn't find anything better than that. Hope it helps.

Good Point. I will search for the temperature dependence of bulk modulus, hope to find something.

LostConjugate said:
The effect on densities of solids between those temperatures is small.
Thank you, but what about bulk modulus?
Below 1% change in 100K to 500K is acceptable for me but 10% is not. are you sure that the variation of sound velocity, for all common solids, is under 1% in this temperature range?

nahira said:
Thank you, but what about bulk modulus?
Below 1% change in 100K to 500K is acceptable for me but 10% is not. are you sure that the variation of sound velocity, for all common solids, is under 1% in this temperature range?

I am not sure but since we are only talking 100's of degrees Celsius, not thousands I wouldn't expect so.

nahira said:

You will certainly get changes of more than 1% for typical metals between 100 and 500K. See http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_773.html (apologies for the stupid units on that web page!)

I'm not familiar with temperature-dependent properties of Si.

BTW, temperature dependent values of Young's modulus will be easier to find than Bulk Modulus. Since poisson's ratio is very unlikely to be temperature dependent, the two moduli are proportional to each other for isotropic materials.

The change in density from thermal expansion will be negligible compared with the change in the elastic moduli.

AlephZero said:
You will certainly get changes of more than 1% for typical metals between 100 and 500K. See http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/young-modulus-d_773.html (apologies for the stupid units on that web page!)

BTW, temperature dependent values of Young's modulus will be easier to find than Bulk Modulus. Since poisson's ratio is very unlikely to be temperature dependent, the two moduli are proportional to each other for isotropic materials.

The change in density from thermal expansion will be negligible compared with the change in the elastic moduli.

Thanks for the excellent tip my brother,
I would certainly consider searching for the Young's Modulus temperature dependence.

To whom may be coming here via a Search Engine:

I finally used these two equations from Ref1:

V_Longitudinal=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{3K+4G}{3\rho}}[/itex]

V_Transverse=[itex]\sqrt{\frac{G}{\rho}}[/itex]

[itex]\rho[/itex]: Density
K: Bulk modulus
G: Shear modulus

(In fact, some manipulations are made to obtain the above formulas, See Ref2)

I calculate my desired average velocity from V_L and V_T according to below equation, Ref3:

V_Average=[itex]\frac{3}{\frac{2}{V_T}+\frac{1}{V_L}}[/itex]

Then I used the demo version of MPDB software, Ref4.
The demo version includes full free access to all of the temperature dependent properties, such as density, Shear modulus, Bulk modulus, Elastic Young's modulus and many other properties, for the elements of periodic table.

The variation is above 1% for many common solids.

References

Ref1: Gray, D.E., 1972. “American Institute of Physics Handbook”, 3rd ed., McGraw-Hill, New York - p 3-98

Ref2: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lam%C3%A9_parameters"

Ref3: M. Holland, "Analysis of Lattice Thermal Conductivity", Physical Review, Vol.132,6(1963).

Ref4: MPDB (Material Property DataBase) software, http://www.jahm.com/pages/about_mpdb.html"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the temperature dependent speed of sound in common solids?

The temperature dependent speed of sound in common solids refers to the change in the speed at which sound travels through a solid material as the temperature of the material changes. This phenomenon is caused by changes in the vibrational energy and density of the solid material as the temperature changes.

2. How is the speed of sound affected by temperature in common solids?

The speed of sound in common solids typically increases with increasing temperature. This is because as the temperature increases, the particles in the solid vibrate more vigorously and are able to transfer sound energy more quickly.

3. What factors influence the temperature dependence of the speed of sound in common solids?

The temperature dependence of the speed of sound in common solids can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the density and stiffness of the material, the type of bonding present in the material, and the crystal structure of the material.

4. How is the temperature dependent speed of sound in common solids measured?

The temperature dependent speed of sound in common solids can be measured using techniques such as ultrasonic testing, which involves sending high frequency sound waves through a material and measuring the time it takes for the waves to travel through the material at different temperatures.

5. Can the temperature dependent speed of sound in common solids be used to identify different materials?

Yes, the temperature dependent speed of sound can be used to identify different materials, as each material will have a unique temperature dependence due to their individual physical and chemical properties. This information can be useful in materials testing and quality control processes.