Will running during rainfall makes you more wet?

• Thread starter RobinSky
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Running
In summary, if the rain is falling straight down, running will keep you more wet than walking, but the differences are minimal.
RobinSky
(sorry for the typo in the title)

I have heard both yes and no when it comes to this. But now it's time to ask you guys who probably really can put this to test.

Certain factors is probably like the angle of the falling rain relative to your motion, right? And the volume per cubic meter of rain? The speed of the person walking/running? The speed of the falling rain (or is the velocity v always the same for rain?)? The density of the water droplets?

I think you understand, what's the truth?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I depends how far the shelter is and how long the rainstorm lasts. If also depends on your defintion of "wet". If your head is wet, it usually means more to you than when your body is wet. However, running will always make you wetter faster, if you are not getting to shelter before the rainstorm is finished.

Well, you will get wet as you will run into raindrops falling in front of you (already past the height of the top of your head), but then you will avoid raindrops about to fall on top of you (on your head).
Regardless of if you run or walk you should walk/run into roughly the same amount of raindrops, but if you run you should get fewer raindrops on your head.
In conclusion, running will keep you (your head) drier.

In answer to one of your sub-questions: raindrops will tend to fall at a similar speed (their terminal velocity), this does depend, though, on their size, but the outcome will be the same for every type of rain; running = drier head.

If the rain is angled considerably in the same direction as you are headed then running will definitely keep you much drier than walking as you'll be moving with it (less difference between your horizontal vectors, ergo fewer collisions).

Lastly, I think raindrops' density tends to stay the same (that of normal water).

All this is assuming the rate of rainfall remains constant and ceteris paribus etc. etc. throughout the rainy passage.

Hope it helped!

PhysicsChode said:
Well, you will get more wet as you will run into raindrops falling in front of you (already past the height of the top of your head), but then you will avoid raindrops about to fall on top of you (on your head).
Regardless of if you run or walk you should walk/run into roughly the same amount of raindrops, but if you run you should get fewer raindrops on your head.
In conclusion, running will keep you (your head) drier.

In answer to one of your sub-questions: raindrops will tend to fall at a similar speed (their terminal velocity), this does depend, though, on their size, but the outcome will be the same for every type of rain; running = drier head.

If the rain is angled considerably in the same direction as you are headed then running will definitely keep you much drier than walking as you'll be moving with it (less difference between your horizontal vectors, ergo fewer collisions).

Lastly, I think raindrops' density tends to stay the same (that of normal water).

All this is assuming the rate of rainfall remains constant and ceteris paribus etc. etc. throughout the rainy passage.

Hope it helped!

That might work if you are a sphere. but you are not.

jetwaterluffy said:
That might work if you are a sphere. but you are not.

Care to elaborate?

A nice way to visualize this is the reference frame of the falling raindrops: The drops are a static field, and the person is moving though them and collecting them, until he reaches a boundary. The horizontal boundary is the begin of a shelter. The vertical boundary is the end of the rain shower. The optimal behavior depends on how far away he is from each boundary, and the geometry that you assume for the body.

If the rain is going to last to infinity, you should obviously run.

I think Mythbusters did a show on this.

Lsos said:
I think Mythbusters did a show on this.

I was just about to say that. They did. They put "spongy" suits on and ran through different rates of rain. Running does make you more wet if its raining really hard because you allow for a lot more surface area since youre hitting the rain with the whole front of your body. If you walk, mostly the shoulders get saturated.

Here's a thread that dealt extensively with your question
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=204749"
If rain is falling straight down, your speed changes the distribution of wetness but not how wet you get. Unless you run so fast that you bend forward, in which case you sweep out less volume and get less wet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the replies guys. From reading the other post in this forum I get the impression of it doesn't really matter? Some people are truly convinced arguing that you will get more wet if you run, some the opposite.

And according to the discussed formula in the beginning of the post it looked like you will get less wet if you run.

If rain were falling in angle towards your relative motion it seems to makes you more wet, which I also find obvious.

But the question is, rain falling straight down? More wet by running, yes or no? I've gotten more confused now :D

Even if you have certain horizontal velocity the rain will appear as if falling through an angle. this is because you tend to move towards the raindrops just in front of you.

1. Does running during rainfall make you more wet than walking?

Yes, running during rainfall will generally make you more wet than walking because you are moving at a faster speed and therefore exposing yourself to more raindrops.

2. Is it true that running during light rainfall will keep you drier compared to heavy rainfall?

No, the intensity of the rainfall does not affect how wet you will get while running. In fact, heavier rain may have larger raindrops that could potentially make you more wet.

3. Will wearing a raincoat while running in the rain keep me completely dry?

No, wearing a raincoat while running in the rain will not keep you completely dry. Raincoats may provide some protection from the rain, but they are not completely waterproof and some water may still seep through.

4. Can running in the rain increase the risk of getting sick?

No, running in the rain does not increase your risk of getting sick. The common cold and other illnesses are caused by viruses, not by being exposed to rain. However, running in cold and wet conditions may weaken your immune system, making you more susceptible to getting sick if you are already infected with a virus.

5. Is it better to run in the rain or wait until it stops?

This ultimately depends on personal preference and the severity of the weather. If the rain is light and you feel comfortable running in it, then it is perfectly safe to do so. However, if the rain is heavy or there is a risk of thunder and lightning, it is best to wait until the weather improves for safety reasons.