Calculation of NonUniform Circular Motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a point rotating non-uniformly on the circumference of a circle and the search for a closed form equation to calculate the resultant vector. The individual is struggling with the problem and is seeking help. They mention that more information may be needed to solve the problem accurately.
rfdes
Hi -
I have a problem that somewhat mimics an
orbital mechanics problem, but I'm struggling
with seeing the light. My engr math is very
rusty and could use some insight.

Problem Description:

Assume a point rotating non-uniformally
on the circumference of a circle, similar to
a planet around the sun. The exception being
the rotation is at a constant radius. Now,
assume that non uniform time is measured between
points A,B & C, where A,B & C are exactly 120 degrees
apart. So t(AB),t(BC),t(CA) are different.

Is there a closed form equation that would calculate
the resultant vector? Not sure I am explaining this
properly and this may be a very simple exercise in
trig/geometry, however, I cannot seem to figure this
out. If someone is familiar with this, I should could
use some help. Thanks.

Jim

Physics news on Phys.org
Is that all the information that's given? If they're 120 degrees apart with a variable circle r then you can split the circle into segments and integrate the x values as a function of y using some clever connection to arclength=sr(theta) and the integral. Given time and and 120 degrees apart you could be talking about a spider monkey's elbow so I think you need more information.

What is nonuniform circular motion?

Nonuniform circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path at varying speeds. This means that the object is not moving at a constant speed as it travels around the circle.

What is the formula for calculating nonuniform circular motion?

The formula for calculating nonuniform circular motion is a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How is nonuniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while in nonuniform circular motion, the object's speed changes as it moves along the path.

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that keeps an object moving along a circular path. It always points towards the center of the circle and is directly proportional to the square of the object's velocity and inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path.

How do you calculate the centripetal force in nonuniform circular motion?

The centripetal force in nonuniform circular motion can be calculated using the formula F = ma = mv^2/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the linear velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.