Confirming divergence theorm example

In summary, the incorrect answer was to compute the flux over the cone, not the lid. When you do this, you get the correct answer of 2pi-pi.
namu
Hello, I am having trouble confirming that the flux integral is equal to the divergence over a volume. I am making a silly mistake & its just one of those days that I can't eyeball it. Here is the problem.

I want to compute the flux integral for

[itex]
\vec{ F}=x\hat i+y\hat j-z\hat k
[/itex]

out of the closed cone

[itex]
x^2+y^2=z^2 \,\,\,\,\,\,\,0\leq z\leq1
[/itex]

Let us first do this the easy way using the divergence theorm.

[itex]
\int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}=\int \int \int \nabla \cdot \vec F dV
[/itex]

[itex]
\nabla \cdot \vec F=1
[/itex]

[itex]
\int \int \int \nabla \cdot \vec F dV=\int_0^{2\pi} d\theta \int_0^1 r dr \int_r^1 dz=\frac{\pi}{3}
[/itex]

This agrees with the formula for the volume of a cone of radius one and height one. Now, let us apply the flux integral directly.

First let's look at the cone.

[itex]
\int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}=\int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}_1+\int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}_2
[/itex]

where S1 is the cone and S2 is the lid of the cone, namely the unit disk z=1.

[itex]
f=x^2+y^2-z^2=0
[/itex]

[itex]
\nabla f=(2x,2y,-2z)
[/itex]

[itex]
\hat n=\frac{\nabla f}{|\nabla f|}=\frac{(2x,2y,-2z)}{2 \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}}=\frac{(2x,2y,-2z)}{2 \sqrt{2}z}
[/itex]

[itex]
d\textbf{S}_1=\hat n \sqrt{\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}^2+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}^2+\frac{\partial f}{\partial z}^2} dx dy=\hat n 2 \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2} dx dy= \hat n 2 \sqrt{2}z dx dy =(2x,2y,-2z)dx dy
[/itex]

[itex]
\int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}_1=\int\int \vec F \cdot (2x,2y,-2z)dx dy=\int\int 2x^2+2y^2+2z^2 dx dy =\int\int 4x^2+4y^2 dx dy=\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta \int_0^1 r dr 4 r^2=2\pi
[/itex]

Over the disk [itex]\hat n=\hat k[/itex] and z=1

[itex]
\int\int \vec F \cdot d \textbf{S}_2=-\int_0^{2\pi}d\theta\int_0^1 r dr =-\pi
[/itex]

Hence,

[itex]
2\pi-\pi=\pi
[/itex]

So this is the wrong answer. I don't see where I went wrong. Can someone please help? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You applied the divergence theorem correctly. The flux over the circle is also correct.
The mistake you made is when you computed the flux over S1: the cone. To define
the normal for z=f(x,y) first write it in a format as follows:
[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}-z=0[/tex] Then the normal [itex] N[/itex] will be
[tex]N=<\frac{x}{z},\frac{y}{z},-1>[/tex] From here you can do the work and show
that the flux you get will be [tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}[/tex] This will confirm the divergence
theorem. Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any further questions.

abiyo said:
You applied the divergence theorem correctly. The flux over the circle is also correct.
The mistake you made is when you computed the flux over S1: the cone. To define
the normal for z=f(x,y) first write it in a format as follows:
[tex]\sqrt{x^{2}+y^{2}}-z=0[/tex] Then the normal [itex] N[/itex] will be
[tex]N=<\frac{x}{z},\frac{y}{z},-1>[/tex] From here you can do the work and show
that the flux you get will be [tex]\frac{4\pi}{3}[/tex] This will confirm the divergence
theorem. Let me know if this makes sense or if you have any further questions.

I worked it out and I got the correct answer. Thank you!

What is the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem, also known as Gauss's theorem, is a fundamental theorem in vector calculus that relates the flow of a vector field through a closed surface to the divergence of the vector field within the enclosed volume.

What is an example of confirming the divergence theorem?

An example of confirming the divergence theorem is calculating the volume of a cube using the divergence theorem. By finding the divergence of a vector field within the cube, the flux through each face of the cube can be calculated and summed up to find the total volume enclosed by the cube.

Why is confirming the divergence theorem important?

Confirming the divergence theorem is important because it provides a powerful tool for solving a variety of physical problems, particularly in the fields of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism. It also serves as a bridge between vector calculus and classical mechanics, allowing for the use of vector calculus techniques in solving real-world problems.

What are the assumptions needed to apply the divergence theorem?

The divergence theorem assumes that the vector field is differentiable and continuous within the enclosed volume and on the surface of the closed surface. It also assumes that the surface is smooth and that the outward normal vector is defined at every point on the surface.

Are there any limitations to the divergence theorem?

Yes, there are limitations to the divergence theorem. It can only be applied to closed surfaces and cannot be used for non-conservative vector fields. It also cannot be applied to surfaces with holes or self-intersections. Additionally, the vector field must be defined within the enclosed volume and on the surface of the closed surface for the theorem to hold.