Creating a Wiki Site: Experiences & Advice Needed

• Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
In summary, creating and maintaining a wiki site can be a straightforward process with the use of platforms such as MediaWiki or website builders like Wix or WordPress. Regularly checking for updates and engaging with contributors is key to successful maintenance. The content on a wiki site should be accurate, relevant, and engaging, and creating a welcoming environment can encourage participation and contributions. Best practices for a successful wiki site include regularly updating and monitoring content, promoting collaboration and community engagement, and having a clear purpose and target audience.
Tom McCurdy
I have fantastico with my hosting package and I am expereimenting with a wiki site for my www.utoe.org[/url] after being suggested. Sadly I dont' have much experience starting one of these sites. I have something up at [url]www.quantumninja.com/wiki[/url] but I was wondering if anyone knew of any more user friendly wiki... something like [url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page[/URL] if not does anyone know how to customize the other wiki to make it not look like first generation geocities?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
I've only ever used UseModWiki and that seems easy enough.

Creating a wiki site can be a great way to share information and collaborate with others. It's great that you have Fantastico with your hosting package, as it can make the process of setting up a wiki site much easier. However, it's understandable that you may not have much experience with starting one.

One option you could consider is using a more user-friendly wiki platform, such as Wikia or PBworks. These platforms offer templates and customization options that can make your wiki site look more professional and modern. They also have a larger community of users, so you may be able to get more help and advice from others who have experience with these platforms.

If you prefer to stick with your current wiki platform, you can still customize it to make it look more visually appealing. There are many tutorials and resources available online that can guide you through the process of customizing your wiki site. You can also reach out to the support team of your hosting provider for assistance.

Overall, my advice would be to do some research and explore different options before settling on a wiki platform. This will help you find one that best suits your needs and preferences. Good luck with your wiki site and I hope it becomes a successful and useful resource for your community.

1. How do I create a wiki site?

Creating a wiki site is a relatively simple process. You can use a platform such as MediaWiki, which is free and open-source, or you can use a website builder such as Wix or WordPress. These platforms have easy-to-use templates and tools to help you design and publish your wiki site.

2. Is it difficult to maintain a wiki site?

Maintaining a wiki site can be time-consuming, but it does not have to be difficult. The key to successful maintenance is to regularly check for updates and edits, monitor for spam or irrelevant content, and engage with your community of contributors to keep the site active and accurate.

3. What kind of content should I include on my wiki site?

The content on your wiki site should be relevant, informative, and engaging. It can include articles, images, videos, and other multimedia elements. The most important thing is to ensure that the content is accurate and up-to-date, as this is the main purpose of a wiki site.

4. How do I encourage participation and contributions on my wiki site?

To encourage participation and contributions on your wiki site, it is important to create a welcoming and inclusive environment. This can be done by clearly outlining the rules and guidelines for contributions, providing easy-to-use editing tools, and actively engaging with your community through comments and discussions.

5. Are there any best practices for creating a successful wiki site?

Yes, there are several best practices for creating a successful wiki site. These include regularly updating and monitoring content, providing easy navigation and search options, promoting collaboration and community engagement, and ensuring accuracy and reliability of information. It is also important to have a clear purpose and target audience for your wiki site.