Raman spectroscopy-vibrational modes

In summary, the conversation is about interpreting Raman spectra and determining which peak corresponds to which vibrational mode. One method is by doing a literature scan, but there are also software options such as density functional theory. DFT can provide the frequencies of vibrational modes for a specific molecule, but it cannot determine the molecule that produced the observed Raman spectrum.
yokone_
Hi everybody,

I am trying to learn how I can interpret the Raman spectra. How can we know which peak

corresponds to which vibrational mode? We can find it by doing a simple literature scan that's

ok but without literature scan, how can we know it? Is there any software? I did a basic

search and found that there are some softwares for density functional theory. What do these

softwares stand for? I have some Raman peaks with wave numbers and intensities. So just

entering these data into these software, can I get any valuable result for vibrational modes?

Thanks in Advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Any info?

Well, with DFT you can can get the frequencies of vibrational modes for a specific molecule but you can't determine a priori what molecule did produce an observed Raman spectrum.

OK Thank you

1. What is Raman spectroscopy and how does it work?

Raman spectroscopy is a technique used to study the vibrational modes of molecules in a sample. It involves shining a laser on the sample and measuring the scattered light. The energy of the scattered light can reveal information about the vibrational modes of the molecules present.

2. How is Raman spectroscopy different from other spectroscopic techniques?

Raman spectroscopy is different from other spectroscopic techniques because it measures light scattering instead of absorption. This makes it useful for studying molecules that do not absorb light in the visible range, such as non-polar molecules. It also provides complementary information to other techniques, making it a valuable tool for chemical analysis.

3. What are vibrational modes and why are they important?

Vibrational modes are the different ways in which the atoms in a molecule can vibrate. These vibrations are caused by the bonds between atoms and can reveal important information about the structure and chemical properties of a molecule. By studying the vibrational modes of a molecule using Raman spectroscopy, we can gain insight into its composition and behavior.

4. How can Raman spectroscopy be used in scientific research?

Raman spectroscopy has a wide range of applications in scientific research. It can be used to identify unknown substances, study molecular interactions, and monitor chemical reactions in real time. It is also commonly used in fields such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental science to analyze and characterize different types of molecules.

5. What are the limitations of Raman spectroscopy?

While Raman spectroscopy is a powerful technique, it does have some limitations. It is not as sensitive as other spectroscopic techniques, so it may not be able to detect low concentrations of molecules. It is also prone to interference from fluorescence, which can make it challenging to analyze certain samples. Additionally, Raman spectroscopy is a surface-sensitive technique, meaning it can only analyze the outer layer of a sample and may not provide information about the bulk material.