Noether current for SO(3) rotation

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving the Noether currents and charges for a given Lagrangian, which is invariant under SO(3) symmetry. The process involves showing that infinitesimal transformations can be written in a specific form and then using this information to calculate the necessary derivatives.
ClaraOxford
This is a problem from my theoretical physics course. We were given a solution sheet, but it doesn't go into a lot of detail, so I was hoping for some clarification on how some of the answers are derived.

Homework Statement

For the Lagrangian L=1/2(∂μTμ∅-m2T∅) derive the Noether currents and charges.

Homework Equations

jμa=∂L/(∂(∂μa))*[itex]\Phi[/itex] - [itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex]α

Here, the lambda term is zero, because the Lagrangian is invariant under SO(3).

a → ∅a + [itex]\Phi[/itex]εα

The Attempt at a Solution

We were first told to show that the above Lagrangian satisfies SO(3) symmetry (this was fine). The solution sheet then states that infintessimal transformations can be written as ∅a → ∅a-itc(Tc)abb, where (Tc)ab=-iεcab

I could not work out how to derive this though.

Using the above info, I can see that [itex]\Phi[/itex]ac = -i(Tc)abb, taking εα = tc

Then I just need to calculate ∂L/∂(∂μa)
Is this just ∂μa?? I'm not sure how to calculate this when there's 2 derivatives, one with a superscript and one with a subscript. And does the transpose affect things?

Physics news on Phys.org
ClaraOxford said:
jμa=∂L/(∂(∂μa))*[itex]\Phi[/itex] - [itex]\Lambda[/itex][itex]\mu[/itex]α

You probably want [itex]{j^\mu}_\alpha[/itex] on the left side to match indices.

We were first told to show that the above Lagrangian satisfies SO(3) symmetry (this was fine). The solution sheet then states that infintessimal transformations can be written as ∅a → ∅a-itc(Tc)abb, where (Tc)ab=-iεcab

I could not work out how to derive this though.

You could either take this as a definition of the Lie algebra of the orthogonal group or else show that the finite matrices [itex]\exp (i t^a T_a)[/itex] are orthogonal. This is a generalization of the way we can parametrize 2d rotations by an angle.

Using the above info, I can see that [itex]\Phi[/itex]ac = -i(Tc)abb, taking εα = tc

Then I just need to calculate ∂L/∂(∂μa)
Is this just ∂μa?? I'm not sure how to calculate this when there's 2 derivatives, one with a superscript and one with a subscript. And does the transpose affect things?

You can write

[tex]\partial_\mu \phi^a \partial^\mu \phi_a = \delta_{ab} \eta^{\mu\nu} \partial_\mu \phi^a \partial_\nu \phi^b,[/tex]

then use

[tex] \frac{\partial}{\partial(\partial_\nu \phi^b) } \partial_\mu\phi^a = \delta^a_b \delta^\nu_\mu.[/tex]

Since there are 2 factors of [itex]\partial\phi[/itex], you'll need to use the product rule which brings in a factor of 2 in the answer.

1. What is the Noether current for SO(3) rotation?

The Noether current for SO(3) rotation is a mathematical concept used in theoretical physics to describe the conservation of angular momentum in a system that undergoes rotations. It is named after the German mathematician Emmy Noether who first introduced the concept in the early 20th century.

2. How is the Noether current for SO(3) rotation calculated?

The Noether current for SO(3) rotation is calculated using the Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. In the case of SO(3) rotation, the Noether current is calculated by taking the sum of the angular momentum of all the particles in the system multiplied by the rate of change of the rotation angle.

3. What is the significance of the Noether current for SO(3) rotation in physics?

The Noether current for SO(3) rotation is significant because it provides a fundamental link between symmetries and conservation laws in physics. It is a powerful tool for understanding the behavior of physical systems, particularly in the field of quantum mechanics where symmetries play a crucial role in determining the properties of particles.

4. Can the Noether current for SO(3) rotation be applied to other types of symmetries?

Yes, the Noether current concept can be applied to other types of symmetries, such as translations, time translations, and gauge symmetries. In fact, the Noether's theorem is a general principle that applies to all continuous symmetries in physics.

5. How does the Noether current for SO(3) rotation relate to the conservation of angular momentum?

The Noether current for SO(3) rotation is directly related to the conservation of angular momentum in a system. This means that if there is a symmetry in a physical system that leads to a conserved Noether current, then the corresponding conserved quantity will be the angular momentum of the system. In other words, the Noether current for SO(3) rotation is a mathematical expression of the conservation of angular momentum in a rotating system.