Ladder Operators for Harmonic Oscillator Excited States

In summary, the OP can move the x around as they see fit, as long as they are consistent with the order the operators are in.
khemist
I have a homework problem which asks me to compute the second and third excited states of the harmonic oscillator. The function we must compute involves taking the ladder operator to the n-power. My question is this: because the ladder operator appears as so, -ip + mwx, and because I am using it as a differential operator, is it ok to move the x around as I see fit? For example, when the ladder operator is squared, I get cross terms which contain x and d/dx. Am I able to move the x outside of the d/dx, in which case it will appear as 2(hbar)mwx(d/dx), or will I have one cross term which reads (hbar)(d/dx)mwx and the other which reads mwx(hbar)(d/dx)? (minus signs ignored)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't take the x outside of the derivative, as the derivative is with respect to x. So the two cross terms are inequivalent.

In general, the square of an operator means: "Apply the operator once. Then apply it again to the resulting state" and similarly for nth powers. This makes it clear that you can't move the x in the first raising operator to the left of the second raising operator--it's part of what the second raising operator is acting on.

You start with [itex]\psi_0[/itex] and the calculate [itex]a^3\,\psi_0[/itex] which means

[tex]a^3\,\psi_0 = a\left( a\left( a\,\psi_0\right) \right)[/tex]

Awesome thanks.

Remember though that the square of the ladder operator is not just a+a+ since it is not hermitian. You have to take the hermitian conjugate and multiply with the operator you want to square, so that (a+)2=(a+)+ (a+) = a a+

And in Quantum Mechanics you are dealing with operators that in general do not commute, so you always have to care about the order they are in.

It is standard for (a)^2 to be defined as (a)(a) rather than taking some hermitian conjugate.

tom.stoer said:
You start with [itex]\psi_0[/itex] and the calculate [itex]a^3\,\psi_0[/itex] ...
Sorry, the dagger is missing: [itex](a^\dagger)^3\,\psi_0[/itex]

kloptok said:
Remember though that the square of the ladder operator is not just a+a+ since it is not hermitian. You have to take the hermitian conjugate and multiply with the operator you want to square, so that (a+)2=(a+)+ (a+) = a a+

And in Quantum Mechanics you are dealing with operators that in general do not commute, so you always have to care about the order they are in.
In this case the wave function ψ3 is generated by the third power of the creation operator w/o any ordering ambiguity, hermitean conjugate or something like that

Matterwave said:
It is standard for (a)^2 to be defined as (a)(a) rather than taking some hermitian conjugate.

Yes, I see that I expressed myself incorrectly. You are of course correct, if one writes a2 this means aa and not what I wrote. So to answer the OP, ignore my previous post, correct would be: (a+)3=a+a+a+. Unambiguously.

So by expressing the creation operators in terms of x and p and expanding the parentheses (and keeping the ordering!) and then acting with the result on the ground state wavefunction you will get an expression for the third excited state, corresponding to energy [itex]E_3 = (7/2) \hbar \omega[/itex]

[On a side note: I guess my source of confusion stems from something like wanting to express p2 in terms of a and a+, in which case you would take the hermitian conjugate of the linear comb. in a and a+ comprising p and multiply by p in terms of a and a+ (that is, not by multiplying p in terms of a and a+ times itself). Wouldn't this be correct at least? (That is at least how my professor did it when I read QM.)

EDIT: Sorry, above is obviously incorrect since p is hermitian so that it is equal to its herm. conjugate. We have [itex]p \propto i(a-a^{\dagger})[/itex], then [itex]p^{\dagger} \propto -i(a^{\dagger}-a)=+i(a-a^{\dagger})[/itex] ]

Last edited:

1. What are ladder operators and what is their significance in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a quantum system. They are used to represent the energy levels of a system and to understand how particles can transition between these levels. They are significant because they allow us to make predictions about the behavior of particles and to solve complex problems in quantum mechanics.

2. How do ladder operators work and what is their mathematical representation?

Ladder operators work by acting on the wave function of a system and changing its energy state. The mathematical representation of ladder operators is in the form of creation and annihilation operators, denoted by a^+ and a, respectively. These operators can be applied to the wave function to raise or lower the energy level of a particle, hence the term "ladder" operators.

3. What are the commutation relations of ladder operators and why are they important?

The commutation relations of ladder operators describe how these operators interact with each other. In quantum mechanics, the order in which operators are applied can affect the result, and the commutation relations help us understand this behavior. They are important because they determine the allowed energy states of a system and the probability of transitioning between these states.

4. How are ladder operators used to solve problems in quantum mechanics?

Ladder operators are used in a technique called ladder operator method, which involves using these operators to manipulate the wave function and solve equations in quantum mechanics. This method is particularly useful in solving problems related to harmonic oscillators, angular momentum, and the hydrogen atom. It allows us to find the energy levels and eigenstates of a system and make predictions about its behavior.

5. What are some real-world applications of ladder operators?

Ladder operators have numerous applications in modern technology, such as in quantum computing, quantum cryptography, and quantum sensors. They are also used in the development of new materials and nanotechnologies. In addition, ladder operators have played a crucial role in understanding and predicting the behavior of particles in quantum systems, leading to advancements in fields such as quantum mechanics and particle physics.