Schroedinger boundry equation: Smooth?

• Thread starter ShamelessGit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Smooth
In summary: Is there anything else I missed?Not really, just that I'm not sure how energy is supposed to be quantized if it can be a smooth function.
ShamelessGit
I tried to solve a time independent schroedinger equation with a finite potential well today by solving it in 3 pieces, one for in the box and 2 for the outsides. By setting the equations equal to each other where they met at the edges of the box, by setting the integral of everything squared = 1, and by setting the integral of the exponential functions to the right and left equal to each other (I figured it made sense for them to by symmetrical), I was able to write all the constants equal to 1 other constant, which I could set equal to a function involving energy. I don't like this because it looks as though the constants and energy could vary infinitely, but energy is supposed to be quantized. It seems intuitive to make it a smooth function, but I don't ever remember being taught that one is supposed to do that. I tried making it smooth and it looks as though I get convenient answers.

1. Is it appropriate to solve the Schrodinger equation in pieces like this?

2. Is it good to make it smooth?

3. An unrelated question: Is there also a corresponding time dependent equation? I'm familiar with separation of variables, and the full Schrodinger equation makes it look as if there should always be a time dependent solution, and if there's not, then the total energy E is equal to 0. When, if ever, is there a wave-function that is independent of time?

4. Is there anything else I missed?

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Is it appropriate to solve the Schrodinger equation in pieces like this?
The equation is true at every point in space. If it helps to solve different regions separately (which is usually the case in these examples), just do that.

2. Is it good to make it smooth?
It should have a second derivative everywhere.

3. An unrelated question: Is there also a corresponding time dependent equation?
The time-dependence of your energy eigenfunctions is quite easy to calculate, it is just a rotation in the complex plane. Every state can be written as a superposition of them, and therefore solved with this system.
You can take every state and just let it evolve in time according to the Schrödinger equation, if you want.

Thanks so much mfb

1. What is the Schrödinger boundary equation?

The Schrödinger boundary equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles in a potential field. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrödinger in the 1920s and is a key component of quantum mechanics.

2. What does it mean for the Schrödinger boundary equation to be "smooth"?

In mathematics, the term "smooth" refers to a function that has continuous derivatives of all orders. In the context of the Schrödinger boundary equation, this means that the equation is well-behaved and can be solved without any difficulties or inconsistencies.

3. How is the Schrödinger boundary equation used in physics?

The Schrödinger boundary equation is used to describe the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a potential field. It allows scientists to calculate the probability of a particle's position and momentum at a given time, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can the Schrödinger boundary equation be applied to all physical systems?

No, the Schrödinger boundary equation is specifically designed for quantum systems and cannot be applied to classical systems. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and has been successfully used to describe the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other small particles.

5. Are there any limitations to the Schrödinger boundary equation?

Like all scientific theories, the Schrödinger boundary equation has its limitations. It does not account for relativistic effects and cannot accurately describe the behavior of particles at very high energies. In these cases, other equations, such as the Dirac equation, must be used.