Is there a quantum computing model that allows you to add different states?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of a quantum computing model where two different states on n qubits can be prepared and added together. The possibility of this is explored, with reference to examples of two qubits and optical quantum computation. The question is left open for further discussion.
IttyBittyBit
I want to know if a quantum computing model exists where you can prepare two different states on n qubits and interfere (i.e. add) them together. For example, for two qubits, consider the states (|00> + |01>)/√2 and -(|00> + |10>)/√2 (both pretty easy to prepare in most quantum computing models). Adding these two states would give (|01> - |10>)√2. Is there a model where any two states that can be prepared can also be added together?

Physics news on Phys.org
Just as a follow-up to my own question, I'm guessing no, since addition is a non-unitary operation... but then again it seems to me that in optical quantum computation it would be straightforward to have the qubits interfere with other qubits from the same laser source. An answer to this would be appreciated.

1. What is a quantum computing model?

A quantum computing model is a theoretical framework that describes the principles and rules governing the behavior of quantum computers. It includes the basic elements of a quantum computer, such as qubits, gates, and algorithms.

2. What do you mean by "different states" in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, "different states" refer to the possible values that a qubit can have. Unlike classical bits, which can only have a value of 0 or 1, qubits can exist in multiple states simultaneously, known as superposition. These states can also be entangled with other qubits, allowing for more complex calculations and algorithms.

3. Is there a specific model of quantum computing that allows for adding different states?

Yes, there are multiple models of quantum computing that allow for adding different states. One example is the quantum circuit model, which uses quantum gates to manipulate the states of qubits. Another is the adiabatic quantum computing model, which uses a continuous evolution of a quantum system to perform calculations.

4. How does adding different states in quantum computing improve computing power?

Adding different states in quantum computing allows for more complex calculations and algorithms to be performed. This is because qubits can exist in multiple states simultaneously, allowing for parallel processing and faster computation. Additionally, entanglement between qubits can lead to exponential increases in computing power.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges in using a quantum computing model that allows for adding different states?

Yes, there are currently several limitations and challenges in using a quantum computing model that allows for adding different states. These include the difficulty in controlling and maintaining the fragile quantum states, the need for error correction to prevent errors in calculations, and the high cost and technical complexity of building and operating quantum computers.