Two Derivations of the Born Rule

In summary, both papers provide valuable contributions to the understanding of the Born Rule and its derivation.
the_pulp
Hi there. I found a paper ( http://users.ox.ac.uk/~lina0174/born.pdf ) which states that has derived the Born Rule. More or less, what I understood is that:
1) Consistency condition: if we are going to represent an experiment through different, but coherent representations (ie, different Hilbert basis of the same situation), then, the probabilities that we deduce from whatever rule we will invent from these representations should be the same.
2) Consequence: The probabilities should be calculated from the born rule.
What do you think about this first papers?

Related to this topic, I found another paper from David Deutsch (which I found less appealing, but there seems to be a lot of people developing this line of thought since 1999) in this link ( http://xxx.lanl.gov/ftp/quant-ph/papers/9906/9906015.pdf ). In this paper, it seems like they derive the Born Rule assuming rationality of the "agents" taking ideas from decision theory?. As I said I found this other paper much less appealing to me than the first one, but:
1) To be appealing or not is a matter of taste
2) There are a lot of other papers, developed in the last 10 years, that tried to continue this line of thought.
So, What do you think about this second paper?

Physics news on Phys.org

I find these papers to be very interesting and thought-provoking. The Born Rule is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and understanding its derivation is crucial in deepening our understanding of the theory.

In regards to the first paper, I agree with the author's argument that the consistency condition is necessary in deriving the Born Rule. It makes sense that if we are representing the same experiment through different coherent representations, the probabilities should remain the same. This is in line with the principles of quantum mechanics, where the state of a system should be independent of the observer's perspective.

In terms of the second paper, I also find it less appealing than the first one. While it is interesting to consider the rationality of the agents in decision making, I feel that it may not fully capture the complexity of quantum mechanics. However, as the author mentioned, there have been many other papers that have built upon this line of thought, so it is worth exploring further.

Overall, I think both papers offer valuable insights into the derivation of the Born Rule and it is important to continue studying and researching in this area. As with any scientific theory, it is always beneficial to have multiple perspectives and approaches in order to gain a deeper understanding.

1. What is the Born Rule?

The Born Rule is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that relates the probability of a measurement outcome to the quantum state of a system. It was first proposed by physicist Max Born in 1926.

2. What are the two derivations of the Born Rule?

The two derivations of the Born Rule are the Statistical Interpretation and the Quantum Bayesian Interpretation. These two approaches use different mathematical frameworks to explain the relationship between the quantum state and measurement outcomes.

3. How does the Statistical Interpretation derive the Born Rule?

The Statistical Interpretation uses the mathematical framework of Hilbert space and the concept of eigenvalues to derive the Born Rule. It states that the probability of measuring a specific eigenvalue is equal to the square of the amplitude of that eigenvalue in the quantum state.

4. What is the Quantum Bayesian Interpretation of the Born Rule?

The Quantum Bayesian Interpretation, also known as QBism, derives the Born Rule from the concept of subjective probabilities. It argues that quantum states represent the knowledge or beliefs of an observer, and the Born Rule is a way to update these beliefs after a measurement is made.

5. Are there other derivations of the Born Rule?

Yes, there are other derivations of the Born Rule, such as the Consistent Histories Interpretation and the Decoherent Histories Interpretation. However, these derivations are more complex and less widely accepted compared to the Statistical and Quantum Bayesian Interpretations.