Calculating the launch speed from a launch angle, distance, and air density

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced by a graphics designer, programmer, and musician when trying to build a sports-related application that involves physics calculations. They need to figure out the launch speed of an object based on launch angle, distance travelled, and air density, and then calculate the object's distance based on different air densities. The individual is seeking guidance on where to begin and suggests looking into kinematics equations and consulting a high school physics textbook for help. They also mention the importance of considering aerodynamics and suggest seeking further assistance from the mechanical engineering section.
CMPXCHG8B
Greetings to all.

First off, I apologize if I come off as an idiot here who has no idea what he's talking about (probably because I don't). My career is basically as a graphics designer, programmer, and musician- in that order (I design and build iOS applications for a living). I understand enough math to get certain things done in the computer (usually 3D/OpenGL related shader stuff), but physics has never really been a strong suit for me and I'm totally lost at the moment.

Anyways, a while ago I was contacted about building a sports-related application. As I'm sure most of you are aware, ideas are worth a dime a dozen unless you have a solid implementation behind it. So off I went into physics-land to try and figure some stuff out, and quite frankly- I don't even know where to begin.

The general gist of what I'm trying to achieve is this- I need to be able to figure out the launch speed from a launch angle, distance travelled, and an air density. Then I need to be able to run that again with the launch speed, launch angle, a different air density- and figure out exactly how far the object would travel (this is a travel related app that primarily deals with changes in elevation, temperature, humidity, and barometric pressure- then tells you how to compensate in the sport accordingly).

As I said, I'm totally and utterly lost here.

I'm not asking for someone to do my job here for me- but what I would be very appreciative of, is some pointers on where to begin with this stuff. I don't mind reading, I don't mind researching, and I have no quams figuring this stuff out for myself. There just seems to be so much of it, and I'm not sure what to selectively focus on to complete the task at hand as efficiently as possible.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

-CMPX

Physics news on Phys.org
Good place to start would be for you to look for kinematics equations. (Google it you will find tonnes of reference).
You are solving this in 2-D. So, you would just break kinematics equation in two component x and y. high school physics textbook may be good for that if you can get hold of it.

de-acceleration depends on aero-dynamics of the object and perhaps other properties. So for that you might want to create post in 'mechanical engineering' section.

1. How do I calculate the launch speed from a launch angle, distance, and air density?

The launch speed can be calculated using the equation: v = √(g*d*tan(θ)/2*ρ), where v is the launch speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), d is the distance, θ is the launch angle, and ρ is the air density.

2. What units should I use for each variable in the equation?

The distance (d) should be in meters (m), the launch angle (θ) should be in radians (rad), and the air density (ρ) should be in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3). The launch speed (v) will be in meters per second (m/s).

3. Can I use this equation for any type of projectile launch?

This equation can be used for any projectile launch, as long as the launch angle is measured from the horizontal and the air density remains constant throughout the trajectory.

4. Is air density an important factor in calculating launch speed?

Yes, air density affects the drag force acting on the projectile, which ultimately affects the launch speed. Higher air density will result in a greater drag force and slower launch speed.

5. What is the significance of calculating launch speed?

Calculating the launch speed is important in understanding the motion of a projectile and predicting its trajectory. It is also essential in designing and optimizing launch systems for various applications, such as in sports, aerospace engineering, and military operations.