How can I automate opening email attachments and entering data into a form?

• Thread starter GiTS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Email
In summary: If the data is in exactly the same format every time you can use a keyboard/mouse macro recording program like "AutoIt". However, this will fail if it cannot work by playing back pre-recorded mouse movements and clicks. (i.e. window in wrong place = miss = fail).On a PC system, "Windows Powershell" from Microsoft (an official component) is a scripting language designed for task automation. It can certainly hook into applications and trigger their menus. I am not sure on its full capabilities as not being a windows tech I only looked briefly at it.
GiTS
I receive excel spreadsheets as email attachments all the time.
I usually open the email, then the attachment, then I copy and paste the data into an html form. A php program automatically enters the data into mysql properly formatted.
I would like to automate the process so that anyone sending emails to the address with the correct header is able to input data. How can I do this?

Thank you for your ideas

Technology news on Phys.org
GiTS said:
I receive excel spreadsheets as email attachments all the time.
I usually open the email, then the attachment, then I copy and paste the data into an html form. A php program automatically enters the data into mysql properly formatted.
I would like to automate the process so that anyone sending emails to the address with the correct header is able to input data. How can I do this?

Thank you for your ideas

Hey GiTS.

What browser do you use? Have you got access to an email daemon?

If you can add third party extensions to your browser and get notifications for incoming emails, use the SDK available to do that.

However if this is not possible, look for an open email client that allows you to hook the notification messages and then parse the message and do your stuff.

As a speculative response, something like Thunderbird might be configurable to do what you need in terms of creating a plugin or add-on given that it is open source for 1 and 2 there are quite a few add-ons (and I'm guessing the developers put in a lot of thought to the design and the SDK itself).

If the data is in exactly the same format every time you can use a keyboard/mouse macro recording program like "AutoIt". However, this will fail if it cannot work by playing back pre-recorded mouse movements and clicks. (i.e. window in wrong place = miss = fail). EDIT: However if you know the correct keyboard shortcuts to trigger the menus, it should be OK...

On a PC system, "Windows Powershell" from Microsoft (an official component) is a scripting language designed for task automation. It can certainly hook into applications and trigger their menus. I am not sure on its full capabilities as not being a windows tech I only looked briefly at it.

1. How does automating email opening work?

Automating email opening involves using a computer program or software to automatically open and read emails without any manual input from the user. This can be done through coding scripts, email management tools, or email filters.

2. Can automating email opening save time?

Yes, automating email opening can save a significant amount of time by eliminating the need for manually opening and sorting through emails. This can be especially helpful for individuals who receive a large volume of emails on a daily basis.

3. Is automating email opening secure?

The security of automating email opening depends on the specific program or tool used. It is important to use trusted and reputable software to ensure the safety of sensitive information in emails.

4. Can automating email opening be personalized?

Yes, automating email opening can be personalized to fit an individual's specific needs and preferences. This can include setting filters, creating rules, and customizing notifications for certain emails.

5. Are there any drawbacks to automating email opening?

One potential drawback of automating email opening is the possibility of important emails being missed or overlooked. It is important to regularly check and review emails, even when using automation, to ensure that no important information is missed.