From Uranium isotope to thorium isotope

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of converting an atom of Uranium (238-92) into an atom of thorium through electron capture and alpha decay. The resulting isotope has a mass number of 234 and an atomic number of 90. The conversation also addresses the possibility of beta decay, but it is not considered in the question.
Orion78
I need to complete the following sentence. If I think that electron capture or alpha decay does not occur in my decay process, I have to type a '0' (zero) in the appropriate box:

Converting an atom of the isotope Uranium (238-92) into an atom of thorium can be accomplished if an electron capture process occurs___times and an alpha decay occurs ___times. The resulting isotope has a mass number___ and an atomic number___ .

Initially I thought the right answers were: zero, one, 234, 90. But after I realized that I cannot say one times because times is plural. Is it only one right answer of there are different options? The resulting isotope has definitely a atomic number of 90, but I am not sure about the rest. Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answers are quite correct. There is no other answer because there is no allowance for a beta decay, and electron capture processes would usually only happen with a proton-rich isotope (mass number lower than those of the most stable or abundant isotopes of the element).

If beta decays were allowed for, then "beta (-) decay occurs 2 times and alpha decay occurs 2 times ... 90 ... 230 ..." might be an alternative answer, but the question is simply not worded that way.

I think you should ignore the slightly ungrammatical "1 times" in a question like this.

1. What is the process of converting Uranium isotopes to Thorium isotopes?

The process of converting Uranium isotopes to Thorium isotopes is known as radioactive decay. This occurs when the unstable nucleus of a Uranium isotope emits particles and energy, eventually transforming into a Thorium isotope with a more stable nucleus.

2. Why is the conversion from Uranium to Thorium important?

The conversion from Uranium to Thorium is important because Thorium is a more stable and less radioactive element compared to Uranium. This makes it a safer option for long-term storage of nuclear waste and can also be used as a fuel for nuclear reactors.

3. How long does it take for Uranium isotopes to convert to Thorium isotopes?

The length of time it takes for Uranium isotopes to convert to Thorium isotopes varies depending on the specific isotopes involved. However, it typically takes thousands of years for the conversion to be complete.

4. Can the conversion from Uranium to Thorium occur naturally?

Yes, the conversion from Uranium to Thorium can occur naturally through the process of radioactive decay. This is a naturally occurring phenomenon that happens in the Earth's crust and is responsible for the presence of both Uranium and Thorium in the environment.

5. What are some potential uses for Thorium isotopes?

Aside from its potential use as a nuclear fuel, Thorium isotopes also have applications in medical imaging and cancer treatments. They can also be used in the production of electronic devices, such as color television tubes and camera lenses.