Deceleration falling into a harness

In summary, the conversation discusses the force generated on the human body during a fall, specifically in the context of rope-access work. There is disagreement on whether the force depends on the mass of the victim and the elasticity of the harness. One person is trying to calculate the force using equations from high school physics, but is struggling to determine the distance or time taken to decelerate. Another person is using the equation E=mgh to calculate potential energy and then converting it to force. The conversation also mentions the possibility of vector mathematics being relevant.
wikithellama
Hi!

This isn't exactly a homework question - I am not studying physics (though I was good at high school physics once-upon-a-time) it is just something that I am interested in and Google isn't being very cooperative. If this is in the wrong place, please let me know - I thought since it is such simple equations it belongs in this section :)

I also may be over-complicating this somewhat and I am a complete n00b so please bear with me...

I am a Rope-Access tutor and it is "common knowledge" in the industry that a 600mm fall on a system with no shock-absorbing capabilities will generate a force of 6kN on the human body.

Now with the remnants of high school physics that I have, I believe that this would depend on the mass of the "victim" and on the elasticity of the harness etc... (I am thinking that I am in a little over my head)

I am not someone who takes things for granted so I am trying to work it out for myself.
I was going to ignore the elasticity of the harness, squishiness of the human body etc... but have found it isn't possible as I will end up with my time or distance during the impact being 0 which doesn't really work very well.

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I have managed to work out the velocity before impact for a falling person using
Vf2 = Vi2+2a*d using:
Vi = 0
a = 9.81ms2
d = 0.6m
and have a velocity of 3.431ms

I was going to find the deceleration using either the formula Vf=Vi+a*t or Vf2=Vi2+2a*d then use F=ma to find the force but I have realized that I have no clue what the distance or time taken to decelerate may be.

So my questions are:

Is there another way to work this out?
Has anyone come across a time or distance for the deceleration of the human body crashing into something (I think ignoring the harness for now is the best idea)?
Does it depend on the mass of the victim?
Am I actually on the right track?

My boss is using the equation E=mgh to work out the potential energy of the fall. He is just moving the decimal place to change it to kN ... is this a correct way of working out the force on the body?

Thank you very much in advance!

(I need some help with questions on vector mathematics at some point as well! :) )

Physics news on Phys.org
Average force,
[itex]\bar{F} =\frac {\Delta(mv)}{\Delta(t)}[/itex]

I think the time taken to a halt depends on the flexibility of the body.

1. What is deceleration falling into a harness?

Deceleration falling into a harness is a process in which a person or object is slowed down or brought to a stop by a harness, typically through the use of a rope or other type of restraint. This is often used in activities such as rock climbing or bungee jumping to provide a safe landing or controlled descent.

2. How does a harness help with deceleration?

A harness distributes the force of the deceleration over a larger area of the body, reducing the impact on any one specific point. It also allows for a controlled descent, rather than a sudden stop, which can prevent injury.

3. What factors affect the deceleration rate when falling into a harness?

The deceleration rate when falling into a harness can be affected by several factors, including the length and elasticity of the rope or restraint, the weight and speed of the person or object falling, and the angle and surface of the landing.

4. How do scientists study deceleration falling into a harness?

Scientists study deceleration falling into a harness through biomechanical analysis, which involves measuring and analyzing the forces and stresses on the body during the deceleration process. They may also conduct experiments using human subjects and specialized equipment to simulate different scenarios.

5. Are there any risks associated with deceleration falling into a harness?

While a harness can greatly reduce the risk of injury during deceleration, there are still potential risks involved. Improper use of a harness or equipment failure can lead to falls or other accidents. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use appropriate equipment when engaging in activities involving deceleration falling into a harness.