What Are the Dynamics in a Circular Orbit?

In summary, the conversation included discussions about the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, calculations involving mass, distance, and force of an electron orbiting a proton, and solving for velocity and acceleration using different formulas. The second part of the conversation involved determining the acceleration due to gravity of the sun at the distance of the Earth's orbit, using the formula a = v^2 / R and converting units from m/s^2 to rev/s. The final problem was about finding the top speed of a roller coaster car at the top of a loop-the-loop, taking into account the apparent and true weight of the car.
oldunion
In the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom, an electron (mass=9.1x10^-31kg) orbits a proton at a distance of 5.3x10^-11m. The proton pulls on the electron with an electric force of 9.2x10^-8N.

I did F=mv^2/r to solve for velocity. units don't match but i got 2.315. Centripetal acceleration next? I know I've made a mistake thus far.

Just came across this question:
What is the acceleration due to gravity of the sun at the distance of the Earth's orbit?

Thats all the info they give you, they want the answer in m/s^2 :uhh:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you calculated velocity correctly but you left off the scientific notation. Keep the velocity squared and use that to solve for the acceleration.

a = v^2 / r

This will give you the answer in m/s^2

As for the second part,what formula would u have to use...?

Daniel.

oldunion said:
Just came across this question:
What is the acceleration due to gravity of the sun at the distance of the Earth's orbit?

Thats all the info they give you, they want the answer in m/s^2 :uhh:

Hey, by the way don't use again the formula [tex]g = \frac{v^2}{r_{sun}} [/tex] here, because you don't know the velocity! If [tex]R_{Earth}[/tex] is the radius of the Earth, and we know [tex]g[/tex], then express your answer in terms of [tex]g[/tex] and the ratio [tex]R_{Earth}/r_{sun}[/tex].

Last edited:
Yes,he does know the velocity.He can approximate the ellipse Earth is making around the sun and determine the velocity to approx 30Km/s...(Besides,even if you didn't know the physics to compute it,it's very well known,because it's tabulated :wink:)...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Yes,he does know the velocity.He can approximate the ellipse Earth is making around the sun and determine the velocity to approx 30Km/s...(Besides,even if you didn't know the physics to compute it,it's very well known,because it's tabulated :wink:)...

Daniel.

I don't think that is the purpose.
Wait a minute, why does the Earth velocity come up here? It won't do!

You probably forgot the question.There it is:"What is the acceleration due to gravity of the sun at the distance of the Earth's orbit?"

The acceleration is simply [itex] \frac{v^{2}}{R} [/itex],where v is the orbital velocity of the Earth (namely ~30Km/s) and R is the mean distance Earth-Sun (~150*10^{9}m}.

Daniel.

It is the Earth moving, not the sun. So the formula you gave gives the centripetal acceleration of the Earth moving around the sun.
I understood the question like this: find the value of [tex]g[/tex] at the distance the sun is.

Nope,it's the other way around.It should be the Earth graviting the sun."due to gravity of the sun" ring a bell...?"at the distance of the Earth's orbit"...Does this one ring a bell,then...?

Daniel.

i got the second part. but the first part is incorrect.

a got a v^2 of 5.358x10^12 then i divided this by the radius of 5.3x10^-11= 1.011x10^23 which is not the answer.

edit: nevermind I am being retarded, they asked for it in revs/ second. is this a new equation or just dimensional analysis?

Revolutions per second,well that's Hertz and normally,in SI revolutions doesn't have a unit...

Daniel.

so how would i go from meters/s^2 to revs/second

Hold it,one unit id for angular velocity (Hz) and the other is for linear acceleration.There's no way to go from one to the other...There are different quantities...

Daniel.

oldunion said:
so how would i go from meters/s^2 to revs/second

[tex]a = \omega^2r[/tex]

[tex]\omega = \sqrt{\frac{a}{r}}[/tex], where [tex]\omega[/tex] is in rad/s.

to go to rev/s, you are looking for the frequency:

[tex] f = \frac{\omega}{2\pi}[/tex].

no those units don't jive. you would end up with some fraction of #/T where t is the period. tried anyway, 5.99 or 9.42 incorrect

Okay:What is velocity in m/s and what is the acceleration in m/s^{2}...?

Daniel.

v^2= 5.358x10^12
a=1.011x10^23

The first # is correct.The second looks good as well...You're done...

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
The first # is correct.The second looks good as well...You're done...

Daniel.

yes but this doesn't solve my dilemma of how to find the rev/s

5.99x10^21 rad/s (assuming it is in rad/s for whatever reason) x 1 rev/2pirad=9.42x10^21

Last edited:
Yes,if that [itex] 5.99\times 10^{21} rad \ s^{-1} [/itex] is the correct "omega",then te final answer is correct.

Daniel.

something isn't right. if you do the velocity you will get Newtons=kg/m, this works out to m/s^2. The acceleration is therefore inverse seconds...

No.Trust me,everything is okay with the units.

Daniel.

The computer doesn't like my answer, ill keep at it. But i just worked it out very clearly and when you do acceleration you get #/s. i have another question though.

As a roller coaster car crosses the top of a 30.0m-diameter loop-the-loop, its apparent weight is the same as its true weight. what is cars top speed?

sum of forces=m(v)^2/r obviously the radius is 15m, no mass is apparent and we must find velocity. I know there is a significant in them saying the apparent and actual weights are the same, sum of forces must be zero

For the first problem,the units are m/s^{2} for LINEAR ACCELERATION and the same for ANGULAR ACCELERATION.It cannot be Hz...

For the second problem,you're on the right track,if i can say so...

Daniel.

the problem asks for rev/s as the final answer though.

the second problem i am stuck. there must be another value i am not seeing because i need one more to solve.

Yes,but that's not for acceleration...:wink:For the 2-nd:What other value do you need...?:bugeye:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Yes,but that's not for acceleration...:wink:For the 2-nd:What other value do you need...?:bugeye:

Daniel.

1st problem, significantly lost.

second problem, answer is zero without further values. but zero is not a logical answer

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's acceleration towards the center.

2. How is centripetal force related to centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as one increases, the other will also increase. The formula for centripetal acceleration is a = v^2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of the circle. This shows that increasing the velocity or decreasing the radius will result in a larger centripetal acceleration, which in turn requires a larger centripetal force to maintain the circular motion.

3. Can centripetal force be greater than gravitational force?

Yes, centripetal force can be greater than gravitational force. For example, when a satellite orbits around a planet, the centripetal force provided by the planet's gravity must be equal to the force required to maintain the satellite's orbital velocity. This force can be greater than the force of gravity if the satellite is moving at a high velocity or is in a closer orbit.

4. What happens to centripetal force if an object's velocity or radius changes?

If an object's velocity or radius changes, the centripetal force required to maintain its circular motion will also change. As mentioned earlier, centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional, so an increase in velocity or decrease in radius will result in a larger centripetal force. Conversely, a decrease in velocity or increase in radius will require a smaller centripetal force.

5. How does centripetal force affect the motion of an object in a circle?

Centripetal force is necessary for an object to move in a circle. It constantly acts towards the center of the circle, pulling the object towards the center and preventing it from moving in a straight line. Without centripetal force, the object would continue moving in a straight line tangent to the circle.