Solar wobble - what are the effects of Jupiter and Saturn?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of solar wobble and its potential effects on the Sun. The speaker is curious about whether the Sun will accelerate and experience any changes in shape or flow due to the gravitational pull of Jupiter and Saturn. They also mention the possibility of tidal forces, but conclude that they are likely negligible.
littlebud
Hi
I came across this excellent forum :)

I am trying to figure out the solar wobble. When only looking at the Sun+Jupiter+Saturn, my intuitive interpretation is that the Sun will go faster/wobble more at Jupiter-Saturn-conjunction, and slower at oppositions. Is this correct?

If so, there seems to be an acceleration? Does the Sun "feel" this acceleration in any way? Or is it in "free fall" and does not experience any real force?

If the sun accelerates, would it have any kind of differential effect, so that the Sun is deformed or the flows on the Sun are affected?

Or does the Sun only experience the normal tidal force from Jupiter (while Saturn has a negligible tidal effect)?

Would be pleased to hear any opinions :)
regards
JAn, Norway

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
littlebud said:
Hi
I came across this excellent forum :)

I am trying to figure out the solar wobble. When only looking at the Sun+Jupiter+Saturn, my intuitive interpretation is that the Sun will go faster/wobble more at Jupiter-Saturn-conjunction, and slower at oppositions. Is this correct?

If so, there seems to be an acceleration? Does the Sun "feel" this acceleration in any way? Or is it in "free fall" and does not experience any real force?

If the sun accelerates, would it have any kind of differential effect, so that the Sun is deformed or the flows on the Sun are affected?

Or does the Sun only experience the normal tidal force from Jupiter (while Saturn has a negligible tidal effect)?

Would be pleased to hear any opinions :)
regards
JAn, Norway

Isaac Newton discovered that the solar system revolves around its center of mass. This is sometimes outside of the Sun. The bodies experience gravity as free fall. I would think that tidal forces are very small.

1. How do Jupiter and Saturn affect the solar wobble?

Jupiter and Saturn, being the two largest planets in our solar system, have a significant effect on the solar wobble. Their gravitational pull causes the Sun to wobble slightly, which in turn affects the orbits of other planets and objects in the solar system.

2. What are the specific effects of the solar wobble on Earth?

The solar wobble has a minor effect on Earth's orbit, causing it to vary slightly over time. This can result in changes in the length of our year and the tilt of our planet's axis, which can impact our climate and seasons.

3. Is the solar wobble a new phenomenon?

No, the solar wobble has been occurring since the formation of our solar system. It is a natural result of the gravitational interactions between the Sun and the planets.

4. How does the solar wobble impact other planets in the solar system?

The solar wobble can have a significant impact on the orbits of other planets, especially those that are close to Jupiter and Saturn. It can cause their orbits to become more eccentric or elongated, leading to potential changes in their climates and seasons as well.

5. Can the solar wobble affect the stability of the solar system?

While the solar wobble may have some impact on the orbits of planets, it is not significant enough to destabilize the entire solar system. The orbits of the planets are constantly adjusting and balancing out due to their gravitational interactions with each other.