Help please, motion of charged particle in mag field

In summary, to find the time it takes for a proton to make one pass around a circular orbit perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of 0.758T, we can use the formula r=mv/qB and exploit the connection between T, v, and r. This results in the equation T=2πr/v, where v is the constant tangential speed. By multiplying this with the period, we can get the correct answer.
ballahboy
A proton moves in a circular orbit perpendicular to a uniform magnetic field of 0.758T. Find the time it takes the proton to make one pass around the orbit.

Just need someone to help me start off. All I have is that the B=0.758T, q=1.6x10^-19C and m=1.67x10^-27kg. What formulas do I need to use to find t?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
U can prove (i advice u to do it) that

[tex] r=\frac{mv}{qB} [/tex]

Exploit the connection beteen T,v & r.

Daniel.

hmm so r=mv/qB is derived from mv^2/r=qvB. I got r=(1.4x10^-8)v. the thing is.. i don't kno the relationship between the time, radius and velocity. Do i use r to find the circumference and multiply that by the velocity? I am not really sure..
thanks for the response

Yes,that "v" is the constant tangential speed.Multiplied with the period should give exactly 2\pi r...

Daniel.

ok i got the correct answer now.. THanks a lot! :D

1. How does a charged particle move in a magnetic field?

When a charged particle is placed in a magnetic field, it will experience a force perpendicular to both its velocity and the direction of the magnetic field. This force causes the particle to move in a circular or helical path, depending on the initial velocity and the strength of the magnetic field.

2. What factors affect the motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge and mass of the particle, and its initial velocity. The direction of the magnetic field also plays a role in determining the path of the particle.

3. Can a charged particle move in a straight line in a magnetic field?

No, a charged particle cannot move in a straight line in a magnetic field. The force it experiences will always cause it to move in a circular or helical path. However, if the magnetic field is uniform and the particle's initial velocity is parallel to the field, it will move in a straight line parallel to the field.

4. How does the radius of the charged particle's path change in a magnetic field?

The radius of the charged particle's path in a magnetic field is directly proportional to the particle's mass and velocity, and inversely proportional to the strength of the magnetic field. This means that increasing the particle's mass or velocity will increase the radius, while increasing the strength of the magnetic field will decrease the radius.

5. What practical applications use the motion of charged particles in a magnetic field?

The motion of charged particles in a magnetic field is utilized in many technologies, such as particle accelerators, MRI machines, and particle detectors. It is also important in understanding phenomena such as the aurora borealis and the Earth's magnetic field.