Calculating the direction of Earth's magnetic field

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the direction of Earth's magnetic field using three components - geographic south to north, west to east, and up to down. The attempt at a solution includes using tangent to find the angles for each component, resulting in 7.33° east of north and 65.66° below horizontal. The conversation then moves on to discussing a question about comparing the direction of the magnetic field projection on the horizontal plane with the direction of the compass. However, the context of the question is unclear and there is confusion about how to find the direction of the compass. The conversation ends with the decision to hand in the work as is.
SnapDragon
Please help! Calculating the direction of Earth's magnetic field

Homework Statement

Calculate the direction of Earth's magnetic field.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

3 components of the magnetic field:

Geographic South to North: 0.01670 mT
Geographic West to East: 0.002147 mT
Up to down (up is the sky, down is the ground): 0.03722 mT

Calculating angle East of North:

tanθ=0.002147/0.01670
θ=7.33° East of North

Angle below horizontal:

tanθ=0.03722/√(0.016702+0.0021472)
θ=65.66° below horizontal

Is my attempt correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If I did the first question correctly, I need help with this question:

Compare the direction of the projection of this magnetic field vector on the horizontal
plane (the angle to the east (or west) of geographic north) with the direction of the
compass.

I honestly don't understand what they're asking here. Are they saying to compare 7.33° with the direction of the compass? How do I find the direction of the compass?

Also, one last question:

The magnetic field in anywhere between two helmholtz coils is uniform, right?

Anybody? This is due tomorrow. :|

SnapDragon said:
If I did the first question correctly, I need help with this question:

Compare the direction of the projection of this magnetic field vector on the horizontal
plane (the angle to the east (or west) of geographic north) with the direction of the
compass.

I honestly don't understand what they're asking here. Are they saying to compare 7.33° with the direction of the compass? How do I find the direction of the compass?

Your answer looks fine. I am similarly bemused by the second question. Since it says "the compass", I would expect it to be in the context of some actual compass described or supplied elsewhere.

haruspex said:
Your answer looks fine. I am similarly bemused by the second question. Since it says "the compass", I would expect it to be in the context of some actual compass described or supplied elsewhere.

Maybe they're asking to check the percent error compared to the real value?

SnapDragon said:
Maybe they're asking to check the percent error compared to the real value?
It's not a percent error.
By 'real' value, do you mean true north, or the known declination for where you are?

haruspex said:
It's not a percent error.
By 'real' value, do you mean true north, or the known declination for where you are?

I have no idea.

Don't worry about it. I'm just going to hand in what I have. No point stressing over it since no other students seem to know the answers either.

When you fill in the data table for e.g. the NS field, how are you determining that it's NS? Do you use the compass for that? If so, are you taking it from the magnetic N according to the compass, or are you correcting for declination?

haruspex said:
When you fill in the data table for e.g. the NS field, how are you determining that it's NS? Do you use the compass for that?

Yes.

haruspex said:
If so, are you taking it from the magnetic N according to the compass, or are you correcting for declination?

I am taking it from the magnetic N according to the compass.

1. How is the direction of Earth's magnetic field calculated?

The direction of Earth's magnetic field is calculated by using a compass and measuring the angle between magnetic north (the direction the compass needle points) and true north (the direction towards the geographic North Pole).

2. Why is it important to calculate the direction of Earth's magnetic field?

Knowing the direction of Earth's magnetic field is important for navigation, as well as for understanding the behavior of charged particles in the Earth's magnetic field.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating Earth's magnetic field?

The accuracy of calculating Earth's magnetic field can be affected by local magnetic anomalies, such as large metal objects, as well as changes in the Earth's magnetic field over time.

4. How does the direction of Earth's magnetic field change over time?

The direction of Earth's magnetic field changes over time due to processes within the Earth's core, such as the movement of molten iron and nickel. These changes can be observed through paleomagnetism, the study of the Earth's magnetic field in the past through rocks and sediments.

5. Can the direction of Earth's magnetic field be predicted?

While the exact direction of Earth's magnetic field cannot be predicted, scientists are able to model and forecast its behavior using data and observations from satellites and ground-based instruments. However, unexpected changes can still occur due to the complex nature of the Earth's magnetic field.