Does a sine-shaped beam remain sine when pushed?

• Thread starter refind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam Sine
In summary: As long as the compression is small enough that it does not significantly alter the shape of the beam, the resulting shape should still be a sine. However, if the compression is large enough to cause significant deformation in the middle portion of the beam, the resulting shape will no longer be a sine.
refind
I have a linear elastic thin beam y=sin(pi x) from 0<x<1 and the beam is pin supported (no moment applied) at x=0 and x=1 and constrained so that the ends remain on the x axis. Then I push the end from x=1 to x=1-delta (for some small delta, say 0.1). Will the resulting beam shape still be a sine?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It will have a finite modulus and non-zero mass per unit length so the speed of propagation of a compression wave will be finite, hence the x/y relationship will not be a sine wave over the length of the beam during the change because the nearer parts will have compressed before the far parts have moved, distorting the shape.

If a slight compression maintaines the sine function, then any compression, large or small should maintain the function since a large compression would equate to many small compressions.
However it is easy to visualize a large compressive force deforming the middle portion due to leverage much more than the sides eventually forcing the bottom to arc inwards. This can not be a sine wave, despite the possibility of a sine wave having infinitely small wave length.

In case anyone is confused I'm asking this as a static load problem, nothing with wave propagation.

I'm asking because I want to calculate the force applied by the beam when I compress it, and I need to know the function in order to calculate it.

a1call: Can I at least assume that the beam remains approximately sine if the deflection is small?

Last edited:
I would say yes.

1. What is a sine-shaped beam?

A sine-shaped beam is a type of light beam that follows the shape of a sine wave, with alternating peaks and valleys.

2. Can a sine-shaped beam be pushed?

Yes, a sine-shaped beam can be pushed or manipulated by external forces.

3. Does pushing a sine-shaped beam change its shape?

It depends on the amount and direction of force applied. In some cases, pushing a sine-shaped beam can change its shape, while in others it may remain relatively unchanged.

4. How does pushing a sine-shaped beam affect its wavelength?

Pushing a sine-shaped beam can change its wavelength, as the wavelength is directly related to the shape of the beam. The more the beam is pushed, the more its wavelength may change.

5. What are the practical applications of studying sine-shaped beams?

Studying sine-shaped beams can help in understanding light propagation and diffraction, which has a wide range of applications in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and medical imaging.