Am I the only one that finds this funny?

• Thread starter 1MileCrash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Funny
In summary, The conversation discusses whether a statement should be considered a corollary and if the concept of dependence applies to all subsets of a vector space. The possibility of a corollary about dependence is considered, but ultimately it is agreed that it is not necessary to prove this result from first principles.
1MileCrash
Is this really worthy of being pointed out as a corollary??

Attachments

• corollary.png
    corollary.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 539
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops. It's just the contrapositive. Then no, it's not worthy of being a corollary.

If it follows from the theorem 1.6 then why not? :) Not really funny to me.

phosgene said:
Yes. Not all theorems work both ways like that.

Are you sure? :wink:

1MileCrash said:
Are you sure? :wink:

I misread it, thought that the corollary was about dependence too. :redface:

phosgene said:
I misread it, thought that the corollary was about dependence too. :redface:

Hah, I don't blame you. I had to do a double (or triple) take.

Though, interestingly enough, if the corollary was about dependence, then that would mean (S1 dependent) <=> (S2 dependent), which would mean that any subset or superset of any linearly dependent set would be linearly dependent. Which would mean that all subsets of a vector space would be linearly dependent, because all vector spaces must contain some linearly dependent subset (namely itself) (unless I'm just confusing myself here!)

Last edited:
That's true, but not for the reason that you seem to be thinking. Every vector space contains 0, and therefore is a linearly dependent set, but if you remove that point you could have a linearly independent set. For example (and probably the only example), F2 the field of two elements, as a one dimensional vector space over itself.

Office_Shredder said:
That's true, but not for the reason that you seem to be thinking. Every vector space contains 0, and therefore is a linearly dependent set, but if you remove that point you could have a linearly independent set. For example (and probably the only example), F2 the field of two elements, as a one dimensional vector space over itself.

I'm saying - if the corollary was talking about dependence, a consequence would be that any subset of a vector space is linearly dependent because the vector space itself is.

I think it's not just to "point it out", but ask you to prove both results from first principles, to get used to making proofs about linear dependence and independence.

1MileCrash said:
Is this really worthy of being pointed out as a corollary??

Wait. Why? Because there's two extra commas in there?

1. What makes something funny?

The concept of humor is subjective and can vary from person to person. Some common elements that contribute to something being perceived as funny include surprise, incongruity, and relatability. Additionally, cultural and societal norms can also influence what is considered funny.

2. Why do some people find certain things funny while others don't?

Humor is highly individualized and can be influenced by personal experiences, beliefs, and sense of humor. What one person finds funny may not be amusing to another. Additionally, factors such as age, gender, and cultural background can also play a role in what someone finds funny.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for humor?

There is no one definitive explanation for humor, but there have been various theories proposed by scientists. Some suggest that humor serves as a coping mechanism for dealing with stress and negative emotions, while others believe it is a way to navigate social interactions and build relationships. More research is needed to fully understand the complexity of humor.

4. Can humor be learned or is it innate?

While some people may have a natural inclination towards humor, it can also be learned and developed through exposure to different types of comedy and practicing the use of humor in social situations. However, the ability to understand and appreciate humor can also be influenced by factors such as intelligence and personality.

5. Is it normal to find something funny that others don't?

Yes, it is completely normal to have a different sense of humor than others. As mentioned, humor is subjective and what one person finds funny may not be amusing to another. It is important to respect and accept individual differences in humor and not force others to find something funny if they don't.