So anybody interested in Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter neurocomp2003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neuroscience
In summary, Jack is a cognitive neuroscience expert who has worked with a wide range of computational and mathematical methods to study the brain. He recently published a new website on the topic at www.diaceph.com. He plans to take some classes in the area when he has the time.
neurocomp2003
What the title says.
Best
Jack

Physics news on Phys.org

Can you be more specific in your query? Are you seeking discussion on the brain's uses of mathematical computation? Or are you seeking to explore other computational processes that transend brain function in such things as memory, intuition, music, and creativity?

I am involved in this area, more than I would like! Much of my recent experience has come out of need - following a 1992 brain injury. I have implemented many numerous forms of computational, relational, and creative processes to overcome cognitive deficets. I feel like the astronomer who has gone to Mars and come back with 1st hand knowledge! I REALLY understand AI and now rhythm! I have recently published a new website on much of my findings, research, and expertise at www.diaceph.com. Visit my Science & Technology page as a good start.

I am presently trying to explain why I have a "highly developed" sense for rhythm after playing djembe hand drums for less than one year. In drum circles, onlookers and drummers often que on me. Why?

Oh I'm interested, can't say I know all that much about it though...
I plan to take some classes in this area when I get a chance though.

I'm not interested but Cinncinnatus is one of my favorite characters, a politician who did his job, then went back to his farm!

haha, yep

Whats the point of this thread anyway?

In principle yeah.

Sure I am interested, tell me abouti t.

heh 1st reply a month after i posted.

well the point of the thread was to see if some discussion could be made into the field of computational or Mathematical neuroscience. Meaning the methods that people do research in these areas either via math, physics, neuropsych experiments, or computer simulation(in robots or VR). DO they use spiking neurons, ANNs, QNNs, GAs in areas of vision, audition spatial navigation, language, sensorimotor. Do they model whole systems or brain parts etc.
What tools do they use? DEs or 3D graphics or matlab?

Last edited:

neurocomp2003 said:
heh 1st reply a month after i posted.

well the point of the thread was to see if some discussion could be made into the field of computational or Mathematical neuroscience. Meaning the methods that people do research in these areas either via math, physics, neuropsych experiments, or computer simulation(in robots or VR). DO they use spiking neurons, ANNs, QNNs, GAs in areas of vision, audition spatial navigation, language, sensorimotor. Do they model whole systems or brain parts etc.
What tools do they use? DEs or 3D graphics or matlab?

Neurocomp:

Neuroscience study encompasses vast subsections, and many tools and methodologies are applied to various subsections. I have observed a wide array of computational methods used in cognitive evaluations, plus separate auditory, visual, and sensory tools used in specific settings. New methods and findings surface rapidly. Field activities encompass testing and technologies, therapeutic methods, and more drug driven research and pure research. Research sharing within this field is poor for a variety of reasons. One active area with great potential is neuropsych study with fMRI brain mapping. I believe what holds the greatest potential in the near term is voice-to-text PDA software devices to capture and process daily thoughts and tasks into useful guidance info, and as a memory aid. Neuropsych PDA programs could help users understand their strengths/weaknesses, and aid patients, athletes, professionals, and those in high risk occupations.

Currently, the most active research areas include neuropsych, imaging + mapping, and biofeedback. The latter is also using EEG to study brain waves. The testing protocols are very specific, and very often, a researcher in one area is unfamiliar with the protocols and parameters used in another. Perhaps you should present this question to the neurosciences dept's of several leading universities. You may also want to visit my web content on this topic at www.diaceph.com/AITechnology.htm.

ah i think you misinterpreted teh terminology "computational neuroscience" OR "mathematical Neuroscience" that i used. Or perhaps it is used differently from wher eyou come from. Being half a neuropsych major i know abit about what your talking about, but what I'm referring to isn't to use AI technologies to enhance skill/performance or study disease. But to actually model the brain systems through computational or mathematical means(neural networks, spiking neurons, genetic algorihtms, brain models in robotics etc). This may actually be a subset of what your website states...if you guys do use brain models to enhance brain models.
I graduated from the neurocomputation programme but the programme didn't emphasize programming so I've spent the last 2 years trying to learn 3D environments programming. I'm not a fan of working with hardware components(robots) so i need to develop a 3D environment to raise my agent. My interests lie first in spatial navigation /cognitive mapping and imagery...but looking back on when i studied I realized a student should start off with the input systems. In this case computational vision and perhaps computational audition. I know of certain groups that do such modelling...
eg UCL(burgess&Okeefe) France(can't remmeber the name) CMU/UPitts(a big one because of their cs and robotics depts,touretzky,ermentrout), UCalgary, UBC, and McMaster(becker,haykin) and of course MIT. I should have been in gradschool by now but unfortunately as stated my programme didn't emphasize programming(image manipulation or 3Dgraphics) plus I burnt a few bridges with professors because of that and my gaming addiction/laziness. Sucks not having guidance when your learning.

anyways going back on topic:
do you know anything about computational vision? How to start modelling?

neurocomp2003 said:
I know of certain groups that do such modelling...
eg UCL(burgess&Okeefe) France(can't remmeber the name) CMU/UPitts(a big one because of their cs and robotics depts,touretzky,ermentrout), UCalgary, UBC, and McMaster(becker,haykin) and of course MIT.

do you know anything about computational vision? How to start modelling?

No. You speak of a specialized area, robotics and brain modeling. If you searched around, you might find someone who does. I know that Wayne State U. in Detroit has a big robotics program, and U. of Wisconsin (and Trace Center) is active in similar areas.

1. What is Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience?

Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience is an interdisciplinary field that combines principles and methods from mathematics, computer science, and neuroscience to study the brain and its functions. It involves using mathematical models, simulations, and data analysis techniques to better understand the complex processes that underlie brain function and behavior.

2. What are the main goals of Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience?

The main goals of Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience are to develop quantitative models of brain function and behavior, to uncover underlying principles of brain organization and information processing, and to provide insights into neurological disorders and potential treatments.

3. What are the key techniques used in Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience?

Some key techniques used in Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience include data analysis, statistical modeling, machine learning, neural network modeling, and simulation of neural systems. These techniques are used to analyze and interpret data from various sources, such as brain imaging, electrophysiology, and behavioral experiments.

4. What are some current research topics in the field of Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience?

Some current research topics in Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience include studying the neural mechanisms underlying learning and memory, developing models of decision-making and behavior, understanding brain networks and their dynamics, and investigating the role of neural coding and information processing in brain function.

5. What are the potential applications of Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience?

The potential applications of Mathematical/Computational Neuroscience are vast and include advancements in brain-computer interfaces, artificial intelligence, and treatments for neurological disorders. It may also lead to a better understanding of the brain and its functions, which could have implications for improving education and enhancing human performance.