How can I format and reinstall Windows XP on my PC using a bootable CD?

• Thread starter pmb_phy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Windows
In summary, to format a C:\ drive in Windows XP, you would need to boot from your XP CD, during the setup process, and then it'll ask you if you want to format your partition(s). To delete a non-dos partition in DOS, you would need to boot from a: and then delete the "non dos partition" (option 4 under delete).
pmb_phy
I'm running Windows XP on a PC. How do I format the C:\ drive so I can wipe that drive clean and then reinstall windows XP??

Pete

Computer science news on Phys.org
I'm not sure about fdisk. However, if you boot from your XP CD, during the setup process, it'll ask you if you want to format your partition(s). Remember to back up any important data first!

Nylex said:
I'm not sure about fdisk. However, if you boot from your XP CD, during the setup process, it'll ask you if you want to format your partition(s). Remember to back up any important data first!
Thanks. That was one of the things that I tried but I didn't see how to do it that way. Perhaps I missed something. I'll give it another whirl. And I learned a long time ago to never place data on the same partition as my system. That's asking for trouble.

Pete

The problem is fdisk (or dos) doesn't recognize the NTFS file system, which your Windows XP may very well be using, thus making it impossible to reformat like that. The trick is to boot with a boot disk to get to an a: prompt. If you try to go to c: to format c: it won't find the drive, because dos is too old to know about NTFS. Therefore go into fdisk from a: Now delete the "non dos partition" (option 4 under delete). Then create a new Dos partition, format it under c: (after reboot) and then when windows xp installs again it will reconvert the drive to NTFS when it installs. It may be lots of work but it's gauaranteed results!

Last edited:
By the way Nylex' suggestion is way easier so do that I'm just tryin to explain how fdisk sees these partitions..

A much easier way to do this is into boot the windows XP cd. From there, you can delete the NTFS partition and format a new one very simply.

Absolutely!

I guess we can say DOS is obselete and to do anything through it is pointless right? Unless you want to divide up your HD into partitions like C: and D: and E: and then F: to be your cd rom or somethin then you need Fdisk but otherwise forget it chuck in the cd and forget it!

Mental Gridlock said:
I guess we can say DOS is obselete and to do anything through it is pointless right? Unless you want to divide up your HD into partitions like C: and D: and E: and then F: to be your cd rom or somethin then you need Fdisk but otherwise forget it chuck in the cd and forget it!

DOS allows the use of a lot of low-level maintanence and is a godsend if the OS stops booting up.. on FAT16/32 that is.

well yeah sometimes you need to change the msconfig or autoexec.bat file from dos if you can't get into windows! good point Pengwuino what I meant is it's one step in DOS becoming obsolete but no there is still use to DOS to this day you're right!

Pengwuino said:
A much easier way to do this is into boot the windows XP cd. From there, you can delete the NTFS partition and format a new one very simply.
Yup. That's what did the trick. Problem now is that new popups got onto my system easily and almost seem to pop up when I type so many words. I'd like to smack the a-hole who created this software to do this.

Pete

Ah yes, ad-aware... free and great.

pmb_phy said:
Yup. That's what did the trick. Problem now is that new popups got onto my system easily and almost seem to pop up when I type so many words. I'd like to smack the a-hole who created this software to do this.

Pete
Did you connect to the internet before you turned on Window's or your own firewall? I made that mistake before and just reformatted again quickly.

Mental Gridlock said:
You don't need fdisk for that either: just make the primary partition smaller than the size of your hard drive when installing windows, then create more partitions through windows.

I didn't know that thanks for the tip russ!

FDisk Help On Tiny PC's...

Hi,

I bought a P.C from Tiny.com recently & tried to fdisk it the other week, the only thing is i can't get into DOS to put in the command to dfisk, the computer come with a Restore Disk & a "Reload" (Back Up) Disk. None of these disks give you the option or the means to fdisk, I've tried looking it up on the net to see if Tiny's hotkeys (For Your Bio's settings DOS ect...) are different to any other computer but I didn't find any info or any help as to how people are supposed to fdisk there computer they bought from Tiny.com

With most P.C's or laptops fdisking is pretty straight forward once u done one b4, but I'm not sure with this P.C from Tiny, I've never bought 1 from them b4 & never fdisked 1 either, if anyone has more knowledge about Tiny Computers or a solution as to what i need to do then please could u get back to me, Thanks.

symantec has something called partition magic, that is so simple, even I can use it. Win XP does alright with it. I like having some of my computer closed off to the outside world, so to speak. My brother the computer guru, told me that space is wasted by partitioning, but since it is about a buck a gig anymore, or less if you find it on sale, then space is not an issue any more, excepting for leaving enough space on your C drive to accommodate big programs, and telephony, and all the rest of the new communication aspects available to home computers.

What exactly are you trying to do, Devitus? With newer versions of Windows, you can access and modify partitions through computer management/disk management in the control panel (you cannot, however, resize them - but Partition Magic will do that).

Devitus, you want fdisk so you should get fdisk. Partition magic is nice but they want your money for something you can do for free. They all want to corrupt your computer and take your hard earned loot. Hell you can buy a program to change your wallpaper!

You can change your partitions through your OS if it allows, but not any OS allows it. fdisk is the surefire way to do it, especially when your computer is clean or you want to setup a dual boot.

Anyway the restore disks or whatever won't do it, you need what's called a "boot" or "startup" disk. It shouldn't matter what OS you have or who the manufacturer is, it should for ANY computer. This will get you to an a: prompt to where you can access fdisk. It won't get you to a c: prompt if you don't have FAT16/32 but there's your fdisk. Stick in the disk, power up and type in fdisk. If it doesn't work then the most likely reason is it doesn't boot from floppy before hard disk in the BIOS boot priority.

You just need a formatted floppy disk to start. You can make the disk through windows (I know for 98 it's under add/remove programs on its own tab) but I'm not sure if you make it through xp if THAT boot disk takes you to the a: prompt. No matter what OS the Windows 98 boot disk is the one I say for sure gets you to a command prompt. Here's where you can get it:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,8303,tfg,tfg,00.asp

That's the most trustworthy source I could find (microsoft doesn't have 98 d/l) but if it's a virus I take no liability!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi & thanks for getting back to me...

I'll explain the situation a bit better, My computer doesn't have a floppy drive so i can't boot from floppy to get into DOS, I am also running Windows XP Home Edition (2002 Version)

I needed to know what's the best way in going about making ur own boot disk (never made 1 of my own b4) so that I can boot my system and get into Command Prompt to fdisk. I've heard of various progs that can do it but not sure how or which is the best 1 to use? Thanks.

Hello...? Can anyone help me wit this please? ^^^

1) Put the windows xp cd in the cdrom
2) Reboot and enter bios
3) Set Boot sequence to boot from CDROM first
4) Save bios settings and reboot
5) Let the windows setup do its thing. Eventually you'll get to a screen that allows you to partition your drive.

Thanks for the advice Dduardo but that won't work, my computers already configed to boot from CDROM as first option the HARD DISK as the second option, My reboot/restore disk's don't give u the option at any time to partion & this is why I am asking if anyone can help me create my own reboot disk, Thanks.

Make the boot disk like I suggested, but instead of on a floppy just write those files to a cd. Then you can use the cd like a boot disc that should give you the a: prompt to access fdisk.

1. How do I create a bootable CD for Windows XP?

To create a bootable CD for Windows XP, you will need a blank CD-R or CD-RW and a CD/DVD burning software. First, download the Windows XP ISO file from the official Microsoft website. Then, open your CD/DVD burning software and select the option to create a new data disc. Add the Windows XP ISO file to the disc and burn it. Your bootable CD for Windows XP is now ready.

2. How do I boot from the CD to start the reinstallation process?

To boot from the CD, you will need to enter your computer's BIOS settings. This can usually be done by pressing a key (such as F12 or Delete) during the startup process. Once in the BIOS, change the boot order to prioritize the CD/DVD drive. Save the changes and exit the BIOS. Your computer will then boot from the Windows XP bootable CD.

3. Will reinstalling Windows XP delete all my files and programs?

Yes, reinstalling Windows XP will delete all files and programs from your computer. It is important to backup any important files before proceeding with the reinstallation.

4. Can I format and reinstall Windows XP without a CD?

No, a bootable CD is required to format and reinstall Windows XP. However, if your computer does not have a CD/DVD drive, you can use a USB flash drive to create a bootable USB and proceed with the reinstallation process.

5. What will happen if I skip the formatting step during the reinstallation process?

If you skip the formatting step, the previous version of Windows XP will be replaced with the new installation. This means that any existing files and programs will remain on your computer, but they may not function properly. It is recommended to always format the hard drive before reinstalling Windows XP to ensure a clean installation.