Current, Power, and Energy problem

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with a circuit and the correct method to solve it. The person has already attempted it once but realized their method was incorrect. They question whether there should be two loops in the problem and ask for help. Someone suggests using Kirchoff Rules and the person tries it, but is unsure if their answer is correct. They provide links to diagrams and ask for confirmation. Another person reviews the diagrams and says it looks correct except for parts b) and c) where the answer may be wrong. The person asks for clarification and is told that without a certain element, their answer cannot be correct. They then ask for advice on what to do differently.
caddyguy109
Okay, here's the problem:
http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=174911"

Already did it once, but then I realized my "method" :rolleyes: looked good, but wasn't correct. Is there two loops for this problem, to start, or what? I get the formulas and the laws, but something is throwing me as to starting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, now this one is the RIGHT thread:wink:

Last edited:
Anybody?

Use Kirchoff Rules.

Okay, did that. Only problem was when I got to b) and c), since the power I calculated as being deilvered by the 12-V battery seems WAY too big (132W).

Take a look:
Part a)
http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=175479"

And then Parts b) and c) (where I may have slipped up):
http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=175481"

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it right?

ANYBODY think it looks correct? I'm confident on the first part, but just wondering about my answers to parts b) and c).

Yes, i see no problem with it.

Okay, thanks!

caddyguy109 said:
Is it right?
It is a little complicated to analyse this circuit but your answer cannot be right. Without R1 the current through the ammeter would be 5 amps. With R1 the current will be less.

AM

Hmm...then what should I do differently?

1. What is the difference between current, power, and energy?

Current refers to the flow of electric charge through a circuit, measured in amperes (A). Power is the rate at which energy is transferred or converted, measured in watts (W). Energy is the ability to do work, measured in joules (J).

2. How are current, power, and energy related?

Current (I) is equal to the power (P) divided by the voltage (V). Power is equal to the product of current and voltage. Energy is equal to the product of power and time.

3. What are some common units of measurement for current, power, and energy?

The most common units for current are amperes (A) and milliamperes (mA). Power is typically measured in watts (W) or kilowatts (kW). Energy is often measured in joules (J) or kilowatt-hours (kWh).

4. How does resistance affect current, power, and energy?

Resistance (R) is a measure of how difficult it is for current to flow through a circuit. Increasing resistance will decrease current and power, but will not affect energy. This is because energy is dependent on the power and the duration of the flow of current, not the amount of current itself.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding current, power, and energy?

Understanding current, power, and energy is essential in designing and maintaining electrical systems, such as power grids and electronic devices. It is also important in conservation efforts, as reducing power consumption can save energy and decrease electricity costs. Additionally, knowledge of current, power, and energy is crucial in renewable energy sources like solar panels and wind turbines.