What to use and how to best do it?

• Thread starter SteliosVas
  • Start date
But yes, using the product rule and chain rule would be the correct approach for finding the derivative of y = cos(x)^{1/x}.In summary, the correct approach for finding the derivative of y = cos(x)^{1/x} is to use the product rule and chain rule, rather than the quotient rule.
SteliosVas
Given: cos(x)[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]

Find [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]:

Now I know... [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] of cos(x) = -sin(x)

and [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] of [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{-1}{x^2}[/itex]

But I am unsure what formula to apply, and where to go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using a logarithm.

I get confused when I convert it to logarithmic.
E.g I get the base as cos(x) and inside the log as y =1/x
So...

[tex]y = cos(x)^{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]
[tex]ln(y) = ln(cos(x)^{\frac{1}{x}})= \frac{1}{x}ln(cos(x))[/tex]
Now differentiate both sides using the chain rule.

Thanks very much for your help

Much appreciated !

SteliosVas said:
Given: cos(x)[itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]

Find [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex]:
Since y doesn't appear in your first line above, it doesn't make much sense to talk about dy/dx. If we know that y = (cos(x))1/x, then dy/dx is meaningful.
SteliosVas said:
Now I know... [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] of cos(x) = -sin(x)
I understand what you're trying to say, but you're not saying it correctly. You don't take "dy/dx" of something. dy/dx is already the derivative of y (with respect to x). To indicate that you want to take the derivative with respect to x of cos(x), write d/dx(cos(x)).
SteliosVas said:
and [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] of [itex]\frac{1}{x}[/itex]= [itex]\frac{-1}{x^2}[/itex]
You mean d/dx(1/x).
SteliosVas said:
But I am unsure what formula to apply, and where to go from here?

PeroK said:
[tex]y = cos(x)^{\frac{1}{x}}[/tex]
[tex]ln(y) = ln(cos(x)^{\frac{1}{x}})= \frac{1}{x}ln(cos(x))[/tex]
Now differentiate both sides using the chain rule.
&& the quotient rule. Correct?

Shinaolord said:
&& the quotient rule. Correct?

I never use the quotient rule.

Than what of ##x^{-1} * ln(cos(x))##??
That's a product. Shouldn't either product or quotient rule be applied?

Shinaolord said:
Than what of ##x^{-1} * ln(cos(x))##??
That's a product. Shouldn't either product or quotient rule be applied?

I always use the product rule and chain rule. The quotient rule is too much to remember. And, unnecessary.

I do as well. I just stated it as the quotient rule because of the way you wrote it.

1. What equipment and materials should I use for my experiment?

The equipment and materials you need will depend on the specific experiment you are conducting. Make sure to carefully read the experimental procedure and gather all necessary equipment and materials before beginning. Common equipment and materials used in scientific experiments include beakers, test tubes, pipettes, graduated cylinders, and chemicals.

2. How can I ensure accurate and reliable results?

To ensure accurate and reliable results, it is important to carefully follow the experimental procedure and record all data accurately. Use appropriate measuring tools and techniques, and repeat the experiment multiple times to ensure consistency. It is also important to control for any potential sources of error and to properly analyze the data.

3. Should I use qualitative or quantitative methods in my research?

The best method to use will depend on the research question and the type of data you are trying to collect. Qualitative methods are used to gather non-numerical data, such as observations and interviews, while quantitative methods are used to gather numerical data, such as measurements and surveys. Some experiments may require a combination of both methods.

4. How can I ensure the safety of myself and others during experiments?

Safety should always be a top priority when conducting experiments. Before starting, make sure to familiarize yourself with the potential hazards and safety precautions associated with the materials and equipment you will be using. Wear appropriate personal protective equipment, follow proper handling and disposal procedures, and have a first aid kit available in case of accidents.

5. What is the best way to document and communicate my findings?

It is important to thoroughly document your experimental process and results in a clear and organized manner. This can include written notes, photographs, and charts or graphs. If presenting your findings to others, make sure to use appropriate scientific language and visuals to effectively communicate your results and conclusions.