Books describing how computers work

by Lightspeed5
Tags: books, computers, describing, work
Lightspeed5
Feb26-14, 10:00 AM
P: 3
I don't mean coding, but on a more fundamental and physical level. What happens in all the hardware of a computer that allows it to do all that it does and display it on your screen? Essentially, what happens in a computer that allows it to tell you that 1+1=2.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong section.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
berkeman
Feb26-14, 12:06 PM
Mentor
P: 39,685
Quote Quote by Lightspeed5 View Post
I don't mean coding, but on a more fundamental and physical level. What happens in all the hardware of a computer that allows it to do all that it does and display it on your screen? Essentially, what happens in a computer that allows it to tell you that 1+1=2.

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I apologize if it's in the wrong section.
Check out the HowStuffWorks website -- they have some pretty good introductory articles on this...
Psinter
Mar1-14, 09:04 PM
P: 72
I wanted the exact same goal when I knew nothing about computers and I achieved it by reading monographs. There were monographs explaining how specific computer components looked like and worked so I took a not working computer, opened it and began matching components with their descriptions. I can tell you it works wonders.

But if you really want a book go for Digital Design. Once you are done with the exercises the way you see computers will definitely be different. I can give you my syllabus if you want for there are some exercises that are not worth doing. (Ignore the programming part)

harborsparrow
Mar5-14, 06:19 PM
P: 325

Books describing how computers work

Something like this would probably be useful. You can get low-cost older, used versions and they are just about as good: http://www.amazon.com/Structured-Com...dp_kinw_strp_1
Cowpoke
Mar17-14, 02:16 AM
P: 7
This is where a 'Windows-type' interface is less beneficial. When I was Learning computers we had to do the math for the and/or logical gates etc. Point-and-click computer courses no longer (or rarely) teach this.
Avichal
Mar17-14, 09:02 AM
P: 282
You should look for books in:-
1) Electronics
2) Digital Design
3) Computer System Organisation

Register to reply