Determine whether the equation represents y as a function of x

• Thread starter Psichlohomeo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the equation x^2 + y = 8 is not a function because y is not equal to a single value and can have multiple values for a given x. The equation y = -x^2 + 8 is a function because y is dependent on x and has a unique output for every input.
Psichlohomeo
1. X^2 + y = 8

Homework Equations

3. my steps:
y = 8 - x^2
x^2 = 8 - y

(8-y) + y = 8

Not a function.
My logic is, because the equation does not equal y, it is not a function

Please show me step by step the right answer, and preferably the reason why.

Physics news on Phys.org
You already had it in the first step. And it just gets crazy after that. If you don't know why, I think you should look up the definition of 'function' and tell us what it is.

Oh. It's not a function because y = -x^2 + 8 ?

Please assist me in my retardation. :( It is immensely painful.

Psichlohomeo said:
Oh. It's not a function because y = -x^2 + 8 ?

Exactly wrong. y IS a function of x because y=(-x^2)+8. I'm going to ask you once more to look up the definition of a 'function'. Post it here for further discussion.

Psichlohomeo said:
3. my steps:
y = 8 - x^2
x^2 = 8 - y
The two equations above are equivalent to the one you started with, but as Dick already said, you had what you need in the first one above, and the one after that is just wasted motion.
Psichlohomeo said:
(8-y) + y = 8
Now this one is always true, but is completely unrelated to the equation you started with and the two above.

1. What does it mean for an equation to represent y as a function of x?

When an equation represents y as a function of x, it means that for every input value of x, there is exactly one corresponding output value of y. In other words, the value of y is determined solely by the value of x in the equation.

2. How can you tell if an equation represents y as a function of x?

To determine if an equation represents y as a function of x, you can perform the vertical line test. If a vertical line can be drawn through the graph of the equation and only intersect it at one point, then the equation represents y as a function of x. If the vertical line intersects the graph at more than one point, then the equation does not represent y as a function of x.

3. What is the difference between a function and a non-function?

A function is a relation between two variables, in this case x and y, where each input value has exactly one corresponding output value. A non-function, on the other hand, may have multiple output values for a single input value, making it difficult to determine a one-to-one relationship between the two variables.

4. Can an equation represent y as a function of x if it contains multiple y values for a single x value?

No, an equation cannot represent y as a function of x if there are multiple y values for a single x value. This would violate the definition of a function, which states that each input value must have only one corresponding output value. In this case, the equation would be considered a non-function.

5. What is the purpose of determining whether an equation represents y as a function of x?

Determining whether an equation represents y as a function of x is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the two variables. It also allows us to make predictions and solve problems using the equation, as we can be sure that each input value will have a unique output value.