Pendulum clock when taken to moon

In summary, when a pendulum clock is taken to the moon, the time period will increase due to the reduced gravity, resulting in the clock running √6 times slower than it does on Earth. This means that option d) is the correct answer, and not option c) as previously thought.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A pendulum clock that keeps correct time on the Earth is taken to the moon. It will run

a) at correct rate
b)6 times faster
c)√6 times faster
d)√6 times slower

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]T_{earth} = 2\pi \sqrt{\dfrac{L}{g}} \\
T_{moon} = 2\pi \sqrt{\dfrac{L}{g/6}} [/itex]

Dividing i) by ii)

[itex]\dfrac{T_{earth}}{T_{moon}} = \frac{1}{√6} \\
T_{moon} = √6T_{earth} [/itex]

This implies option c) is correct but my book says it is option d).

Physics news on Phys.org
The period is longer so the frequency must be...

utkarshakash said:

Homework Statement

A pendulum clock that keeps correct time on the Earth is taken to the moon. It will run

a) at correct rate
b)6 times faster
c)√6 times faster
d)√6 times slower

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]T_{earth} = 2\pi \sqrt{\dfrac{L}{g}} \\
T_{moon} = 2\pi \sqrt{\dfrac{L}{g/6}} [/itex]

Dividing i) by ii)

[itex]\dfrac{T_{earth}}{T_{moon}} = \frac{1}{√6} \\
T_{moon} = √6T_{earth} [/itex]

Use concept ,

T [itex]\alpha[/itex] 1/√g

As √g reduces by √6 on moon , this implies time period on moon will be √6 times that of Earth , as you got. You interpreted your answer wrongly. If the time period increases , pendulum will oscillate slower or faster for a given displacement of the bob ?

sankalpmittal said:
Use concept ,

T [itex]\alpha[/itex] 1/√g

As √g reduces by √6 on moon , this implies time period on moon will be √6 times that of Earth , as you got. You interpreted your answer wrongly. If the time period increases , pendulum will oscillate slower or faster for a given displacement of the bob ?

Thanks for pointing out my mistake

utkarshakash said:

Forget the math for a minute and just think about it logically. Would you really expect a pendulum clock when moved to lower gravity to have the pendulum swing FASTER? Really ?

1. How does a pendulum clock work on the moon?

A pendulum clock works by using the Earth's gravity to keep time. On the moon, where the gravitational pull is much weaker, the pendulum would swing slower and the clock would not keep accurate time.

2. Would a pendulum clock function differently on the moon compared to Earth?

Yes, a pendulum clock on the moon would function differently due to the weaker gravitational pull. The clock would not keep accurate time and the pendulum's swing would be slower.

3. Can a pendulum clock be used to measure the moon's gravity?

No, a pendulum clock is designed to measure the Earth's gravity and would not be accurate for measuring the moon's gravity. Other instruments and methods are used for determining the moon's gravitational pull.

4. How does the lack of air on the moon affect a pendulum clock?

The lack of air on the moon would not have a significant effect on a pendulum clock. The clock's mechanism relies on gravity, not air, to keep time.

5. Would a pendulum clock work on other celestial bodies, such as Mars or Venus?

It is possible that a pendulum clock could work on other celestial bodies, as long as they have a consistent and measurable gravitational pull. However, the clock would need to be specifically designed and calibrated for the unique conditions of each planet.