How does singlet oxygen work in pericyclics?

In summary, the 1O2 dienophile has two degenerate pi orbitals with single electrons, with the LUMO being the ##\pi^*_-## orbital. Having two LUMOs may make it more reactive due to the instability of unpaired electrons. Technically, this oxygen singlet species can be considered a diradical. The MO diagram from Wikipedia is not entirely correct, as it does not show the ##\pi^*_-## orbital as the LUMO.
CrimpJiggler
0dd50c496df40e817213b79f87298753.png

and here's the diagram for the 1O2 dienophile:
1efc1d4587d91c99eaf8224ed3667f8d.png

Its the 1E+g the one I'm interested in. I see that its single electrons are in a couple of degenerate pi orbitals. I'm having trouble figuring out what the LUMO is here. Does it even matter that I have 2 LUMOs? I kinda suspect, that would make it much more reactive since unpaired electrons are pretty unstable. Is this oxygen singlet species technically a diradical?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
The MO diagram for singlet oxygen from wikipedia is not quite correct insofar as it is not a pi_x or pi_y orbital which is doubly occupied in singlet oxygen but rather a ##\pi^*_\pm=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(\pi^*_x\pm i\pi^*_y)## orbital.
So let's say that the ##\pi^*_+## is doubly occupied, then the ##\pi^*_-## is the LUMO.

1. How does singlet oxygen participate in pericyclic reactions?

Singlet oxygen is a reactive form of oxygen that has two unpaired electrons in its outermost shell. In pericyclic reactions, it can act as an electrophile or a nucleophile, depending on the reaction conditions and the reactants involved. It can also undergo a variety of reactions, such as Diels-Alder reactions, ene reactions, and [2+2] cycloadditions.

2. What is the role of singlet oxygen in photochemical reactions?

Singlet oxygen is often generated in photochemical reactions, where it can act as an oxidizing agent. It can abstract a hydrogen atom from a substrate, leading to the formation of a radical intermediate that can undergo further reactions. This makes singlet oxygen a powerful tool for organic synthesis, as it can enable the formation of new carbon-carbon and carbon-heteroatom bonds.

3. How does the electronic structure of singlet oxygen influence its reactivity in pericyclic reactions?

Singlet oxygen has a high-energy, excited-state electronic configuration, which makes it very reactive. This is due to the presence of two unpaired electrons in its outermost shell, which can participate in chemical reactions. The reactivity of singlet oxygen can also be influenced by the substituents attached to its molecular structure, which can affect its electrophilicity or nucleophilicity.

4. What factors can affect the selectivity of singlet oxygen in pericyclic reactions?

The selectivity of singlet oxygen in pericyclic reactions can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the reaction conditions (e.g. temperature, solvent, and light source), the nature of the reactants and their functional groups, and the presence of any catalysts or additives. The steric and electronic effects of the substituents on the reactants can also play a role in determining the regio- and stereoselectivity of the reaction.

5. Is singlet oxygen involved in any biological processes?

Yes, singlet oxygen is involved in various biological processes, such as photosynthesis, immune response, and cell signaling. It is also known to play a role in the aging process and the development of certain diseases. Researchers are currently exploring its potential as a therapeutic agent for the treatment of various medical conditions.