Unique combinations in a set.(+)

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about changing out 5 questions in a set of 10, out of a total of 1000 questions. The person is looking for the number of combinations where 1 question is unique and where a set of 5 is unique. The number of unique sets of 5 and 10 can be calculated using factorials, but it is unclear how these calculations will help with the problem.
Solumsen
Hey there!

I will start of with saying I´m not very good at English when considering mathematical
terms, neither an expert in Math.

My question goes as this:

I have a set of 1000 questions - which will be given in rounds with a set of 10.
So every round, you get 10 questions out of the 1000.

We want to change out 5 questions in every round.
So we want to have not only to have the total number of combinations
where 1 question is unique - but where a set of 5 is.

Please, if the formulation is a bit misleading - i will try to clarify in a reply.
As i said, this is even hard for me to question in the right way!

- Thanks in advance

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hey Solumsen! Welcome to PF! :smile:

I don't understand …

you want 10 questions, each of which has not been asked before …

but that automatically means that any 5 of them will not have been asked before :confused:

The number of unique sets of 5 would be 1000!/(5!*995!).
The number of unique sets of 10 would be 1000!/(10!*990!).
The number of unique ways of grouping all unique sets of 10 into two groups of 5 would be (10!/(2*5!*5!))(1000!/(10!*990!)).

Since I can't quite figure out what the problem is, I don't know if any of this helps.

1. What are unique combinations in a set?

Unique combinations in a set refer to the different ways that items within a set can be arranged or grouped together without repeating the same elements. This means that each combination is distinct and does not contain any duplicates.

2. How do you calculate the number of unique combinations in a set?

The number of unique combinations in a set can be calculated using the formula nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n represents the total number of items in the set and r represents the number of items in each combination. For example, if you have a set of 5 items and want to find all possible combinations of 3 items, the calculation would be 5! / (3! * (5-3)!) = 10 unique combinations.

3. Can unique combinations be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, unique combinations in a set can be applied to many real-world situations. For example, in genetics, unique combinations of genes can result in different physical traits in offspring. In marketing, unique combinations of product features can create a distinct brand identity. In cooking, unique combinations of ingredients can result in different flavors and dishes.

4. What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations and combinations both involve arranging items in a specific order, but they differ in whether order matters. Permutations take into account the order of the items, while combinations do not. For example, if you have the letters A, B, and C, permutations would include ABC, ACB, BAC, etc., while combinations would only include ABC, but not ACB or BAC.

5. How can unique combinations in a set be useful in data analysis?

Unique combinations in a set can be useful in data analysis for identifying patterns or relationships between different elements. For example, in market research, analyzing unique combinations of customer demographics and buying behavior can help businesses target specific audiences. In data mining, identifying unique combinations in large datasets can reveal hidden insights and correlations.