Register to reply

Simple Harmonic Motion - Mass on a Spring

by MohammedRady97
Tags: harmonic, mass, motion, simple, spring
Share this thread:
MohammedRady97
Feb6-14, 01:17 PM
P: 98
For a mass on a spring (vertical set up) undergoing SHM, we equate the restoring force, -kx, to -ω^2 x, coming to a conclusion that ω = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]. My question is, is the restoring force |mg - T| Where T is the tension in the spring? Because this seems to be the net force. I am used to equating tension to kx, not the net force.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New study refines biological evolution model
Fiber optic light pipes in the retina do much more than simple image transfer
Production phase for LSST camera sensors nears
nasu
Feb6-14, 02:10 PM
P: 1,970
The oscillation is around the equilibrium position.
In the equilibrium position the spring is stretched by an amount x_o, just enough for the elastic force to be equal to the weight.
So we have
kx_o=mg.

Now if we move it a little from this equilibrium position, let say by pulling it down, the spring will be stretched by an extra amount, x. x is measured from the equilibrium position.
So the elastic force will be
F=k(x_o+x)
and the net force will be
F_net=F-mg= k(x_o+x) -mg= kx_o+kx-mg = kx.
So the net force depends only on the displacement from the equilibrium position. And this is the restoring force.
sophiecentaur
Feb6-14, 06:22 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,873
Quote Quote by MohammedRady97 View Post
For a mass on a spring (vertical set up) undergoing SHM, we equate the restoring force, -kx, to -ω^2 x, coming to a conclusion that ω = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}[/itex]. My question is, is the restoring force |mg - T| Where T is the tension in the spring? Because this seems to be the net force. I am used to equating tension to kx, not the net force.
That looks to be along the right lines to me, except why do you have a Modulus sign there? The restoring force needs to be given a sign to tell you which way it acts. At equilibrium, T = mg. and the equilibrium position is not directly related to the actual spring length. Oscillation is about this position and the tension will increase of decrease according to the 'restoring force'.
I can see your confusion but you just need to relate the physical situation to the maths describing it.

Register to reply