Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum

In summary, the Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum is the state in which all particles and antiparticles have their charges reversed. It is important in particle physics for understanding the symmetry of the universe and cannot be directly observed in experiments. It is closely related to CP symmetry and plays a significant role in the Big Bang theory by explaining the asymmetry between matter and antimatter.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
What is the result of the charge conjugation acting on the state of vacuum?
[itex]C|0>=...[/itex]
I have two intuitive problems... If I see the vacuum as something which has no particles, then the charge conjugate would have to lead in the vacuum itself...

[itex]C|0>=|0>[/itex]

However, if I think of the vacuum as the state on which creation operators act to create states, the above result doesn't seem correct. For example I would guess that the C acting on the vacuum would create a new vacuum:

[itex]C|0>=|\bar{0}>[/itex]
On which now the creation operators will act destructively (because they would have to create particle in the antiparticle vacuum- the exact opposite of destruction operator acting on the initial vacuum)... On the other hand the destruction operators will bring out antiparticle states...

I am seeing the creation operators as particles and destruction operators as antiparticles, since they propagate (in momentum space) to opposite directions...

Which is correct (I already know it's the 1st) and more importantly, why?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
C|0> = |0> in a theory with charge conjugation invariance.

I think maybe you are a little confused about creation/annihilation operators and particles/antiparticles. There are separate creation/annihilation operators for particles and antiparticles. C swaps the particle creation operators with the antiparticle creation operators, and similarly for the annihilation operators. |0> is annihilated by both particle and antiparticle annihilation operators.

For example, let ##a^\dagger## create particles and ##b^\dagger## create antiparticles. The charge conjugation operator obeys ##C a^\dagger C = b^\dagger## and ##C b^\dagger C = a^\dagger## and ##CC = 1##. Then if we act on a state of a single particle with ##C##, we get a state of one antiparticle, as expected:

##C a^\dagger | 0 \rangle = C a^\dagger CC | 0 \rangle = b^\dagger C | 0 \rangle = b^\dagger |0\rangle##.

Note that we used the fact that ##C|0\rangle = |0\rangle##.

Likes 1 person
The_Duck said:
C|0> = |0> in a theory with charge conjugation invariance.
Yes, bearing this in mind...

Jauch and Rohrlich said:
C|0> = |0> states that the charge parity of the vacuum is even. This is consistent with the definition of the vacuum state, but it is an arbitrary convention. We could just as well assume a vacuum state of odd charge parity. Then the charge parity of all other states would be reversed. There is no observable difference between the two assumptions.

1. What is the Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum?

The Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum refers to the state of the vacuum in which all particles and antiparticles have their charges reversed. This means that all positively charged particles become negatively charged, and vice versa.

2. Why is the Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum important in particle physics?

In particle physics, the Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum plays an important role in understanding the symmetry of the universe. By studying the behavior of particles and their antiparticles, scientists can gain insight into the fundamental laws of physics.

3. Can the Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum be observed in experiments?

No, the Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum cannot be directly observed in experiments. However, its effects can be observed through the interactions of particles and antiparticles with each other.

4. How is the Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum related to CP symmetry?

The Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum is closely related to CP symmetry, which refers to the combination of charge conjugation (C) and parity (P) transformations. CP symmetry states that the laws of physics should remain the same when particles are replaced with their antiparticles (C transformation) and when the coordinates of the system are inverted (P transformation).

5. What implications does the Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum have on the Big Bang theory?

The Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum plays a significant role in the Big Bang theory, as it helps explain the initial asymmetry between matter and antimatter in the early universe. It is believed that during the Big Bang, equal amounts of matter and antimatter were created, but due to the Charge Conjugate of the Vacuum, there was a slight imbalance that resulted in the dominance of matter in the universe today.