Coefficient of x^r in Expansion of (1+x)(1-x)^n

In summary, the book should have defined the notation used in the last expression as 0 for cases where the index is out of range.
Appleton
I am puzzled by the following example of the application of binomial expansion from Bostock and Chandler's book Pure Mathematics:

If n is a positive integer find the coefficient of xr in the expansion of (1+x)(1-x)n as a series of ascending powers of x.

[itex](1+x)(1-x)^{n} \equiv (1-x)^{n} + x(1-x)^{n} [/itex]

[itex]\equiv\sum^{n}_{r=0} { }^{n}C_{r}(-x)^{r} + x\sum^{n}_{r=0} { }^{n}C_{r}(-x)^{r}[/itex]

[itex]\equiv\sum^{n}_{r=0} { }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r} x^{r}+ \sum^{n}_{r=0} { }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r}x^{r+1}[/itex]

[itex]\equiv [1-{ }^{n}C_{1}x+{ }^{n}C_{2}x^{2}...+{ }^{n}C_{r-1}(-1)^{r-1} x^{r-1}+{ }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r} x^{r}+...+(-1)^{n}x^{n}][/itex]

[itex]+[x-{ }^{n}C_{1}x^{2}+...+{ }^{n}C_{r-1}(-1)^{r-1} x^{r}+{ }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r} x^{r+1}+...+(-1)^{n}x^{n+1}][/itex]

[itex]\equiv\sum^{n}_{r=0} [{ }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r} + { }^{n}C_{r-1}(-1)^{r-1}]x^{r}[/itex]

The 4th and 5th line seemed a peculiar way of writing it. Were they just trying to demonstrate how the second series is always one power of x ahead?

The last expression seems to require a definition of [itex]{ }^{n}C_{-1}[/itex] which hasn't been defined in the book so I'm guessing I have misunderstood something. Could someone please explain this for me?
Apologies for any typos, I'm using a mobile. Very fiddley.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The 4th and 5th line seemed a peculiar way of writing it. Were they just trying to demonstrate how the second series is always one power of x ahead?
That's what it looks like to me - the author is making a step in the calculation explicit.

Do you see how the last line is derived from the one before it?

Notes:
...everything from the third "equivalence" sign to (but not including) the fourth one is all one line of calculation.
Do Bostock and Chandler number their working, their equations?

Appleton said:
The last expression seems to require a definition of [itex]{ }^{n}C_{-1}[/itex] which hasn't been defined in the book so I'm guessing I have misunderstood something.

You likely didn't misunderstand anything, the book just has been incomplete. The book should have mentioned that we define ##{}^nC_m = 0## for ##m< 0## and ##m>n##.

Likes 1 person
Appleton said:
Yes.

The last expression seems to require a definition of [itex]{}^{n}C_{-1}[/itex] which hasn't been defined in the book so I'm guessing I have misunderstood something. Could someone please explain this for me?

I think the book is a bit careless there. ##{}^{n}C_{k}## is normally only defined for ##0 <= k <= n##. But the only "sensible" defintiion when ##k < 0## or ##k > n## is zero. If you define ##{}^{n}C_{k}## as the number of ways to choose objects from a set, there are no ways to choose more than n different objects from a set of n, and you can't choose a negative number of objects. If you define it using Pascal's triangle, any numbers "outside" the triangle need to be 0 to make the formulas work properly.

Likes 1 person
The definition being used should be evident by following the derivation though... looking at the coefficient of x^0, probably why the authors felt they could be a bit sloppy there?

Likes 1 person
Thank you so much for clarifying that for me.

The last articulation appears to oblige a meaning of nc−1 which hasn't been characterized in the book so I'm speculating I have misconstrued something. Would someone be able to please clarify this for me?

Expressions of remorse for any typos, I'm utilizing a versatile. Exceptionally fiddle...

Alicelewis11 said:
The last articulation appears to oblige a meaning of nc−1 which hasn't been characterized in the book so I'm speculating I have misconstrued something. Would someone be able to please clarify this for me?
This question has already been asked and answered - see post #3.

1. What is the formula for finding the coefficient of x^r in the expansion of (1+x)(1-x)^n?

The formula for finding the coefficient of x^r is nCr * (-1)^r, where n is the power of (1-x), r is the power of x, and nCr is the combination formula (nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!)).

2. How do you determine the value of n in the formula?

The value of n is determined by the power of (1-x) in the expansion. For example, if the expansion is (1+x)(1-x)^5, then n = 5.

3. What does the exponent r represent in the formula?

The exponent r represents the power of x that you are trying to find the coefficient for in the expansion.

4. Can the value of r be greater than n in the formula?

Yes, the value of r can be greater than n in the formula. However, the coefficient will be 0 because there will be no term with that power of x in the expansion.

5. How can the coefficient of x^r be useful in solving problems?

The coefficient of x^r can be useful in solving problems involving binomial expansions, such as finding the probability of a certain outcome in a series of events or finding the number of ways to arrange a set of objects. It can also be used in simplifying algebraic expressions and solving equations.