Register to reply

Binomial expansion

by Appleton
Tags: binomial, expansion
Share this thread:
Appleton
Jun29-14, 09:11 AM
P: 40
I am puzzled by the following example of the application of binomial expansion from Bostock and Chandler's book Pure Mathematics:

If n is a positive integer find the coefficient of xr in the expansion of (1+x)(1-x)n as a series of ascending powers of x.

[itex](1+x)(1-x)^{n} \equiv (1-x)^{n} + x(1-x)^{n} [/itex]

[itex]\equiv\sum^{n}_{r=0} { }^{n}C_{r}(-x)^{r} + x\sum^{n}_{r=0} { }^{n}C_{r}(-x)^{r}[/itex]

[itex]\equiv\sum^{n}_{r=0} { }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r} x^{r}+ \sum^{n}_{r=0} { }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r}x^{r+1}[/itex]

[itex]\equiv [1-{ }^{n}C_{1}x+{ }^{n}C_{2}x^{2}...+{ }^{n}C_{r-1}(-1)^{r-1} x^{r-1}+{ }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r} x^{r}+...+(-1)^{n}x^{n}][/itex]

[itex]+[x-{ }^{n}C_{1}x^{2}+...+{ }^{n}C_{r-1}(-1)^{r-1} x^{r}+{ }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r} x^{r+1}+...+(-1)^{n}x^{n+1}][/itex]

[itex]\equiv\sum^{n}_{r=0} [{ }^{n}C_{r}(-1)^{r} + { }^{n}C_{r-1}(-1)^{r-1}]x^{r}[/itex]

The 4th and 5th line seemed a peculiar way of writing it. Were they just trying to demonstrate how the second series is always one power of x ahead?

The last expression seems to require a definition of [itex]{ }^{n}C_{-1}[/itex] which hasn't been defined in the book so I'm guessing I have misunderstood something. Could someone please explain this for me?
Apologies for any typos, I'm using a mobile. Very fiddley.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Simon Bridge
Jun29-14, 09:37 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,356
The 4th and 5th line seemed a peculiar way of writing it. Were they just trying to demonstrate how the second series is always one power of x ahead?
That's what it looks like to me - the author is making a step in the calculation explicit.

Do you see how the last line is derived from the one before it?

Notes:
...everything from the third "equivalence" sign to (but not including) the fourth one is all one line of calculation.
Do Bostock and Chandler number their working, their equations?
micromass
Jun29-14, 09:40 AM
Mentor
P: 18,017
Quote Quote by Appleton View Post
The last expression seems to require a definition of [itex]{ }^{n}C_{-1}[/itex] which hasn't been defined in the book so I'm guessing I have misunderstood something.
You likely didn't misunderstand anything, the book just has been incomplete. The book should have mentioned that we define ##{}^nC_m = 0## for ##m< 0## and ##m>n##.

AlephZero
Jun29-14, 09:52 AM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,916
Binomial expansion

Quote Quote by Appleton View Post
Yes.

The last expression seems to require a definition of [itex]{}^{n}C_{-1}[/itex] which hasn't been defined in the book so I'm guessing I have misunderstood something. Could someone please explain this for me?
I think the book is a bit careless there. ##{}^{n}C_{k}## is normally only defined for ##0 <= k <= n##. But the only "sensible" defintiion when ##k < 0## or ##k > n## is zero. If you define ##{}^{n}C_{k}## as the number of ways to choose objects from a set, there are no ways to choose more than n different objects from a set of n, and you can't choose a negative number of objects. If you define it using Pascal's triangle, any numbers "outside" the triangle need to be 0 to make the formulas work properly.
Simon Bridge
Jun29-14, 10:13 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
The definition being used should be evident by following the derivation though... looking at the coefficient of x^0, probably why the authors felt they could be a bit sloppy there?
Appleton
Jun29-14, 12:56 PM
P: 40
Thank you so much for clarifying that for me.
Alicelewis11
Jul17-14, 11:30 AM
P: 5
The last articulation appears to oblige a meaning of nc−1 which hasn't been characterized in the book so I'm speculating I have misconstrued something. Would someone be able to please clarify this for me?

Expressions of remorse for any typos, I'm utilizing a versatile. Exceptionally fiddle...
Simon Bridge
Jul18-14, 12:17 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
Quote Quote by Alicelewis11 View Post
The last articulation appears to oblige a meaning of nc−1 which hasn't been characterized in the book so I'm speculating I have misconstrued something. Would someone be able to please clarify this for me?
This question has already been asked and answered - see post #3.

Register to reply