Old AGP Slot Support a 2x/4x Video Card?

In summary, if your old motherboard has an "old" AGP slot, it should be able to support an AGP 2x/4x card. However, the picture quality may be lower than if you were to buy a newer card.
600burger
I'm building a DVR system out of some older componets i have laying around my house. I'm going to be needing a new video card but everything worthy of puting money into is either AGP 2x/4x or AGP 4x/8x. My question iwould an older MoBo with the "old" AGP slots be able to support an AGP 2x/4x card?

Thanks,
-Burg

Computer science news on Phys.org
You don't need an amazing graphics card if all you're going to be doing is output to S-Video or Coxial.

The video card(s) I'm thinking about aren't that "amazing" they just have a lot of memory and are fast. I'm outputting to a 42" projection, I've heard the quality with low end cards is very noticible.

600burger said:
The video card(s) I'm thinking about aren't that "amazing" they just have a lot of memory and are fast. I'm outputting to a 42" projection, I've heard the quality with low end cards is very noticible.
The purpose of the processing power and memory is for doing realtime 3d rendering. When you use the card to output regular video to a tv, those features are not used at all.

Different manufacturers have different reputations for 2d picture quality (ATI probably has the best), but as long as you get something within about 2 years old, there won't be any difference in the 2d capabilities between a low end and high end card. In fact, they generally use the exact same 2d hardware.

The one thing to be observant about when purchasing a newer agp card for an older system is the voltage compatibility issue. Don't worry the cards are keyed to only fit into a voltage compatible slot, but by researching thoroughly before purchasing, mail order returns or extra trips to the store can be avoided.

Here is a wiki table which may help you sort things out. The key is knowing what your old mobo's exact agp voltage compatibility is

http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/agpcompatibility.html

j...ust ignore the spam link at the top. ...Wikipedia used to have its own page on this issue, I wonder what happened?

What is an AGP slot?

An AGP (Accelerated Graphics Port) slot is a type of expansion slot on a computer's motherboard that is used for connecting a video card. It was a popular type of slot in the late 1990s and early 2000s, before being replaced by PCIe slots.

What does it mean for an AGP slot to support a 2x/4x video card?

Supporting a 2x/4x video card means that the AGP slot can accommodate a video card that operates at either 2 times or 4 times the speed of the original AGP specification. This was a common feature of AGP slots in the early 2000s, as video card technology was rapidly advancing.

Can I use a 2x/4x video card in an AGP slot that only supports 1x?

No, you cannot use a 2x/4x video card in an AGP slot that only supports 1x. The card will not fit properly and may cause damage to the slot or the video card. It is important to check the specifications of your motherboard before purchasing a video card to ensure compatibility.

What is the benefit of using a 2x/4x video card in an AGP slot?

The benefit of using a 2x/4x video card in an AGP slot is that it allows for faster data transfer between the video card and the computer's CPU. This can result in improved graphics and overall performance for tasks such as gaming, video editing, and 3D rendering.

Is it worth upgrading to a 2x/4x video card if my AGP slot only supports 1x?

It depends on your specific needs and preferences. If you are using your computer for tasks that require high-end graphics, then upgrading to a 2x/4x video card may be worth it. However, if you are primarily using your computer for basic tasks such as web browsing and word processing, the difference may not be significant enough to justify the cost of a new video card.