Big Bang Theory: Can Universe Expand Faster than Light?

In summary, the speakers discuss the question of whether or not the expanding matter from the Big Bang can travel faster than light. They explain that while objects with mass cannot travel at the speed of light, the expansion of space itself can cause objects to appear to move at super-luminal speeds. They also mention the existence of horizons that limit our ability to see certain parts of the universe. Additionally, they mention that the universe itself may have been infinitely large at the time of the Big Bang, rather than starting as a single point.
Dawguard
Let me preface this by saying that I know very little about astronomy, but this is a question that has been bugging me for quite a while. I've tried looking it up online and in books, but I can't find it directly addressed anwhere.

My question is that if the universe began with a single point, and everything expanded outward from there with a big bang, then am I right in assuming that the expanding matter could not travel faster then light? However, if this was the case then why can't we see then entire universe? If nothing did travel faster then light, then the objects never would get beyond the distance that its light traveled in the opposite direction. I'm wondering, because I was under the belief that we can only observe a certain portion of the universe, beyond that horizon the light has not yet reached us, so every year we can see one light year farther. If the matter in the big bang didn't go faster then light, what explanation is there for this?

Space news on Phys.org
Hi Dawguard!

It is a consequence of the principles of SR that objects with inertial mass cannot travel through space at a speed equal to or greater than the speed of light, as measured locally. Massless entities such as photons travel at the speed of light (obviously!) but not greater than that.

However in the cosmological solution of Einstein's GR space-time itself is found to expand or contract. Because we observe Hubble red shift we conclude that our universe is in the expanding phase, that is, every point within it is moving apart from every other point.

Because of the universe's size objects on the far side of the universe are actually expanding away from us at speeds greater than the speed of light. But note it is space-time itself that is expanding, everything is being carried along within it. They all have their own sub-luminal proper motions.

Indeed, depending on how you define distance and time at these cosmological distances, it is possible to observe objects that are moving away from us at super-luminal speeds.

However, as you rightly said, there are portions of the universe that we cannot see, these lie behind our Particle horizon, there are also objects further away that we will never be able to see, no matter how long we wait. These lie behind our Event horizon.

These horizons are determined by Hubble's constant, the expansion rate and the curvature of space.

Garth

Thanks Garth, that's great answer, I apreciate it!

Dawguard said:
...My question is that if the universe began with a single point, and everything expanded outward from there with a big bang...
Garth answered your question most competently, but just a small point that he did not address (although he has done so may times before!) We have no reason to believe that the total universe began as a single point. We think it possibly began as a singularity, meaning of infinite density, but not of infinitesimal size. It may have been infinitely large at the time of the BB! We may think of our observable piece of universe starting as a single point, but not the universe at large.

1. How did the Big Bang Theory explain the origins of the universe?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation of the origins of the universe. According to this theory, the universe began as a singularity - a single, infinitely dense and hot point - and then expanded rapidly, resulting in the formation of matter and energy. This expansion is what we now refer to as the Big Bang.

2. Can the universe expand faster than the speed of light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This includes the expansion of the universe. While the universe can expand at incredibly fast rates, it cannot exceed the speed of light. This is because the speed of light is the cosmic speed limit, and the laws of physics do not allow anything to break this limit.

3. What evidence supports the expansion of the universe?

There is a wealth of evidence supporting the expansion of the universe. One of the key pieces of evidence is the redshift of distant galaxies. This redshift is caused by the stretching of light waves as they travel through expanding space. Additionally, observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation also provide strong evidence for the expansion of the universe.

4. Will the expansion of the universe continue forever?

While it was originally believed that the expansion of the universe would eventually slow down and possibly even reverse, recent observations have shown that the expansion is actually accelerating. This means that the universe will continue to expand indefinitely, with galaxies moving further and further away from each other.

5. Can the concept of the expansion of the universe be understood in everyday terms?

The concept of the expansion of the universe can be difficult to understand, as it involves vast distances and timescales. One way to think about it is to imagine a balloon being inflated. As the balloon expands, the dots on its surface (representing galaxies) move further away from each other. However, unlike the balloon, the expanding universe has no edge or center, making it much more complex to visualize.