Behavior of polypyrrole nanowires

• Thread starter abburiaditya
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Behavior
In summary, a student is seeking help with understanding their IV test results on polypyrrole nanowires. They are seeing a linear variation in resistance over three time periods and are wondering if this could be due to transport in the wires or polarization effects. They also mention a plot of their data, but it is unclear how it shows time-dependence. More information about the measurement process is needed to determine if there is a time-dependence or if the plateau in the I-V plot needs to be explained.
abburiaditya
I have been running IV tests on polypyrrole nanowires and i see a time varying resistance that is linear over 3 time periods...

can somebody explain this to me?? i am basically a EE student and i need help with the this... maybe it has to do with transport in the wires or some kind of polarization taking place in the wires that is causing the resistance to vary over time.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What defines a "time period"? Are you sure you are not seeing heating effects?

Need to know all details about the measurements to be able to comment further...

here's a plot of the data that i have... can this help explain?

Attachments

• curve.JPG
    curve.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 427
How do you see the time-dependence in that plot? All I see is a non-linearity that could result from any of several possibilities (phonons, for instance).

Can you tell me how the measurement is made? Do you use a constant sweep rate for the current/voltage or do you fix it at a particular value and measure there for some length of time?

Again, I don't understand how you say there's a time dependence unless you measure at different sweep rates (or residence times) and the position of the plateau changes in V, but not in t. Do you have more data to suggest a time-dependence, or are you asking for a possible explanation of the plateau in the I-V plot?

Last edited:

1. What is the structure of polypyrrole nanowires?

Polypyrrole nanowires have a one-dimensional structure, meaning they are very thin and elongated in shape. They are typically around 20-100 nanometers in diameter and can range from a few micrometers to several millimeters in length.

2. How do polypyrrole nanowires behave in different environments?

Polypyrrole nanowires are known to exhibit various behaviors depending on their surrounding environment. In a dry environment, they are typically highly conductive, while in a wet environment, they become less conductive. They also have the ability to swell and shrink in response to changes in humidity and temperature.

3. What are the applications of polypyrrole nanowires?

Polypyrrole nanowires have a wide range of potential applications, including in electronic devices, sensors, and energy storage systems. They are also being studied for their potential use in biomedical applications, such as drug delivery and tissue engineering.

4. How are polypyrrole nanowires synthesized?

Polypyrrole nanowires can be synthesized through a variety of methods, including template-assisted synthesis, electrochemical deposition, and chemical vapor deposition. These methods involve the use of a substrate or template, which guides the growth of the nanowires.

5. What are the advantages of using polypyrrole nanowires over other materials?

Polypyrrole nanowires have several advantages over other materials, including their high surface area, conductivity, and flexibility. They are also relatively easy and inexpensive to produce in large quantities. Additionally, they have the potential to be used in a variety of applications due to their unique properties.